texas longhorn

Help Support CattleToday:

cleav

Reaction score
i have a friend who is selling out and i was wanting to know if these longhorn cattle would be worth buying and crossbreeding and if so what should i cross with.

I'm sure you'll get plenty of opionions on this one, but if you are having calving difficulties, you might try putting a LH bull on your heifers.

What kind of cattle operation do you have now?

Just curious, but where are the cattle located? Are they young cattle, heifers, older cattle etc?

Also is it a registered herd or a commercial herd? That would have a lot to do with price if you do decide to buy any.

The ranch I am working for is starting a herd of registered Longhorns. This is my first time to deal with them, and I have learned that most people either love'em or hate'em! There doesn't seem to be much inbetween. As for me, I can see that they have there place, but they are not for everyone.

cleav":1r3nmiiw said:
i have a friend who is selling out and i was wanting to know if these longhorn cattle would be worth buying and crossbreeding and if so what should i cross with.

It depends on what he wants you to pay for them and how you expect to sell the calves. Even if you breed them to a solid colored bull, you'll get some spotted calves. Those calves will likely be discounted at the sale barn if that's how you expect to sell them. But if you can get the cows cheap enough, you can still make a buck. Will your squeeze chute and corrals handle those long horns when working the cows? Good luck...

if you wish to cross breed go with Brangus (if you are from the South) If you are from the North, breed them with a polled Hereford or a black baldie bull. You will get great beefy calves and a 50 percent chance for polled calves! Goodluck!

cleav":2rkj912t said:

A very general question seeking specific answers... :)

Several issues here: Conformation of the Longhorns, their lineage, their age & sex, consistently producing cows or unproven heifers that are open.

Cross-breeding a purebred Longhorn with a purebred polled other breed should produce a polled calf.

"Generic" Longhorns without any significant things going for them would (probably) be worth sale barn prices. Longhorns with a minimum of 24" of horn at 12 months old and average or better pedigree should bring significantly more--perhaps twice as much (say $1.50 or better per pound--if that's the way you value livestock).

QUALITY Longhorns, registered, with significant pedigrees, conformation, excellent horn or horn potential and other positive traits should be worth a minimum of $800 when they are born and the sky is the limit after that.

Latest posts