TEXAS LONGHORN X BALANCER X ANGUS

Help Support CattleToday:

Why waste time with half longhorns when you can breed your Angus cows to a Balancer now instead?

ranching hands":2iqxvpco said:
A FRIEND SUGGESTED TO ME TO USE A BLACK TEXAS LONGHORN BULL ON MY ANGUS COWS AND USE A BALANCER BULL ON THE RESULTING HEIFERS DOES THIS SOUND LIKE A GOOD IDEA

Skip the longhorn just use the Balancer on your Angus cows.

Naysayers aside, A good longhorn bull on first time heifers is a viable option. Longhorns are well known for small birthweights and fast growth.

Depending on your area, the resulting calves may or may not see some dock at the salebarn, but a live calf and mother is alot better than a dead calf and a prolapsed cow.

Again, check your area and see what would work best for you.

Under what environmental conditions would you be running the resulting Longhorn / Angus cross cattle? The Longhorn influence would certainly help if it was less desirable conditions with little grass and little if any supplements. If you have plenty of grass and supplement year round, you would probably be better served using a full Gelbvieh on your Angus (maximum heterosis). I have tossed around the idea of Longhorn/Brangus cross as a great open range crossbreed. I also agree with Warpaints comments about not overlooking the overall benefits of your peace of mind with those new heifers having longhorn influence.

warpaint":191994je said:
Naysayers aside, A good longhorn bull on first time heifers is a viable option. Longhorns are well known for small birthweights and fast growth.

Depending on your area, the resulting calves may or may not see some dock at the salebarn, but a live calf and mother is alot better than a dead calf and a prolapsed cow.

Again, check your area and see what would work best for you.

He's not breeding heifers . He asked about breeding cows .

Ranching Hand, The first thing I looked at was where you were living/ranching. If it were me, I'd disagree with many of the above posts and say skip the angus. If you are set on angus, calve in the fall. LH momma's will raise some nice calves for you if they are crossed with the right bull.

I don't own any LH's. I have a couple of angus cows and they don't do very well for me. It is the climate.

i agree skip the longhorn. i dont think that guy is a good friend if that is what he was sugesting.
I think due to your location you need to use a brangus bull :lol: yea all you are laughing but, you know what animal is out in the hot sun eating when the rest are in the shade and ponds. they have to eat to gain pounds and pounds = dollars. Besides a 1/8 brama is low enough to still have a great animal.

ranching hands":1iiuqcat said:
A FRIEND SUGGESTED TO ME TO USE A BLACK TEXAS LONGHORN BULL ON MY ANGUS COWS AND USE A BALANCER BULL ON THE RESULTING HEIFERS DOES THIS SOUND LIKE A GOOD IDEA
so he is telling you to take the beef off and then gradually add it back ?

backhoeboogie":af8nn70z said:
Ranching Hand, The first thing I looked at was where you were living/ranching. If it were me, I'd disagree with many of the above posts and say skip the angus. If you are set on angus, calve in the fall. LH momma's will raise some nice calves for you if they are crossed with the right bull.

I don't own any LH's. I have a couple of angus cows and they don't do very well for me. It is the climate.

He already has the Angus cows. He just wants to know what to cross them too. Angus x Balancer is going to produce a much more marketable calf than Angus x Longhorn, though I personally would rather cross the Angus cows to Hereford bulls.

dillardangus":be0k0wzj said:
I think due to your location you need to use a brangus bull :lol: yea all you are laughing but, you know what animal is out in the hot sun eating when the rest are in the shade and ponds.
I know my Tuli cattle are the only ones in this area out grazing in the midsummer heat and humidity ;-)

WORANCH":2nt6toi7 said:
ranching hands":2nt6toi7 said:

Skip the longhorn just use the Balancer on your Angus cows.
I agree, heck with the dehorning just skip the Longhorn part and shoot right for the AngusXBalancer cross and get a darn good compostie calf that way.

THG

Since MOST Angus are homozygous polled, breeding a Longhorn bull to a herd of Angus cows will not put many (if any) horns on the calf crop.

Brandonm2":33qza7bi said:
Since MOST Angus are homozygous polled, breeding a Longhorn bull to a herd of Angus cows will not put many (if any) horns on the calf crop.

All true angus are homozygous polled. Since a lot of people call anything black Angus that makes it a crap shoot.

I agree with backhoe and someone else that thought longhorn was a good idea.
Puting a little longhorn into cattle in that part of the country makes sense. They can make it on darn near nothing. Brush country cactus I don,t care, a little longhorn may make the dif. between a profit and a loss. Second to brahman that is. ;-)