Texas Longhorn Nutrition

Help Support CattleToday:

I can't say for other breeds. But I have noticed our cows spend a lot of time in the trees eating leaves. Even when there is plenty of grass. I know many people have said that Longhorns are similar to goats, in that they will eat a lot of "junk", but as for specific plants they will and other won't eat, i cant be of much help.

As for the Canada Thistle, I haven't seen them eat it, but i guess if that is all there was available then they might eat it. We have a little bit of it around here, but i've never noticed a cow eating it.

Observing our ~40 LH head, give or take, they tend to eat the good stuff first. Some have a tendency to eat some weeds (curious or tastes good??). Our weeds here are Russian Thistle (sagebrush), careless weed, and other odds and ends. Almost all of ours will keep our few trees pruned up as high as they can reach (saves us the work). Our grass is native common bermuda. We also feed hay 365 days (bermuda and/or alfalfa). Haven't seen any eat (or noticed damaged) thistle, those grasburs with yellow flowers, or gourd vines.

Hope this info helps...

LH's can eat almost anything, it's more of a question of "want" or "have too".

LH's don't want to eat catus....... but will.
LH's don't want to eat cedar trees...... but will.

I saw a LH eat rocks one time....

If you have fences then it's your job to make sure the LH's don't ever "have too".

I have one LH that loves posion ivy...... whatever she "wants" is fine by me,....... as long as it's not the wires on my tractor! (frown)

yeah, they seem to have a liking for the brake connectors on our trailers, rascals

i've watched em eat and they just eat in a line. they don't seem to care what kind of plant is along that path or line, but they take a bite, and move forward, bite, forward, bite, forward- weeds and all. but when they hit bitterweed- spit.

Ryan":31r28lsa said:
I can't say for other breeds. But I have noticed our cows spend a lot of time in the trees eating leaves. Even when there is plenty of grass. I know many people have said that Longhorns are similar to goats, in that they will eat a lot of "junk", but as for specific plants they will and other won't eat, i cant be of much help.
My Herefords eat leaves from the trees sometimes as well. Its funny, because they run on over 100 acres and still want to eat the leaves. Maybe the leaves taste better. :cboy:

Hill Creek Farm":18n6ug10 said:
Ryan":18n6ug10 said:
My Herefords eat leaves from the trees sometimes as well. Its funny, because they run on over 100 acres and still want to eat the leaves. Maybe the leaves taste better. :cboy:
Same here. Had a couple of Brahma heifers and my Simbrah steer up at our school barn and we turned them loose a couple times out where we would work them and instead of going for the nice green grass, they went for the trees. :lol:

Ours will also eat anything that does not eat them first. They love trees. Warpaint bushogged the iron weed 2 weeks ago and now we have no clover. The morning dew is helping it all grow but as fast as it is up it is eaten. Now the trees are being trimmed it is great.

God Bless em, every one.

When we bought our place, it had not been touched in 10 years or more. Nothing more than deer and turkeys on it.

Leased it to Rustler and his partner for a season, and whalaa, clean fencerows and a lot less weeds.

Anybody wonder now, why I raise Longhorns?

Latest posts