Texas have you gotten relief from the drought?

Help Support CattleToday:

cowboy43

Reaction score
Their has been scattered rains across Texas the last couple of months, it seems some have experienced floods and others have missed out on the rains. In Caldwell Co. we have received about average rainfall which has kept the crops growing and the pastures green. But it was so dry their was no under ground moisture , the soil soaks all the water , which leaves no runoff to fill the stock tanks. Also the moisture only lasts a week to 10 days and the grass starts suffering again. Without a good soaking rain and the summer temps. kicking in , it will be another bad year. The drought is far from being over, we are just in a reprieve at this time. What is your situation in your part of the State. :cboy:

As a whole the conditions look better. Some people are getting some good rains. Seems like the majority have gotten a little some thing.

The most positive outlook is we are getting showers that just build in the evening and move thru. It has been several years since we have seen that.

The amounts vary so fast. 30 miles from house they got 11" in one hit... we haven't gotten 11" all year so far.

Keeping my fingers crossed for an active hurricane season like they keep saying. The grass is coming around pretty good. We need some good soakers to keep it going thru the summer.

Brute 23":224rvg7u said:
As a whole the conditions look better. Some people are getting some good rains. Seems like the majority have gotten a little some thing.

The most positive outlook is we are getting showers that just build in the evening and move thru. It has been several years since we have seen that.

The amounts vary so fast. 30 miles from house they got 11" in one hit... we haven't gotten 11" all year so far.

Keeping my fingers crossed for an active hurricane season like they keep saying. The grass is coming around pretty good. We need some good soakers to keep it going thru the summer.

I hope you get every hurricane you wish for cause I don't want any every.
I will take rain with out the death and destruction.

I'm in the moderate range and although it's not too bad now we are under stage three water restrictions. We've only had one rain where we got any runoff, so the stock tank is about three feet low.

Well the little moisture we had is gone and I have never seen the grass burn up as fast as it has it the last week, what little bermuda grass hay that has been baled is only averaging a bale to the acre. Looks like it may be a long hot dry summer. Over in the adjoining County where they got big rains,they have an abundance of grass and the auction owner is encouraging ranchers to buy cattle.

Over in the adjoining County where they got big rains,they have an abundance of grass and the auction owner is encouraging ranchers to buy cattle.[/quote]
We didn't get diddly from any of that rain the past 10 days!:(. Went around us...are you speaking of Commanche County?

I am in Caldwell County the Counties that got rain were Guadalupe which joins us and Bexar County and South of there , they got big rains and they say the grass is really responding to the rain, but they will be surprised how fast it will die back in this heat.

Here in East TX we are doing a little better than most. We have several fields yet to bale and have had decent yield. Our cows hay is already put up, so we will have an abundance of hay to sell. And have made lots for other ranchers as well.

Latest posts