Texas Hauling Regs

Help Support CattleToday:

dcara

Reaction score
I know I saw a reference not to long ago (which I can't find now) about getting a ticket in Texas for not having a CDL if you were hauling over 10,000lbs. I might not even have the context completely right now too. Anyway, I found this decision tree at TX DPS site that I thought was informative enough to post. From this it seems the GVWR of the trailer plus truck must be over 26000 lbs, of which the trailer GVWR must be over 10,000 lbs before a CDL is needed. This presents some interesting combinations.

My F250 with GVWR about 8800 lbs could haul a 15000 GVWR trailer without a CDL, but using a 15000 GVWR truck to haul the same trailer would require a CDL.

There may be DOT considerations that come into play also which I haven't checked yet since my search for DOT stuff lead me to the DPS site.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/cve/cdlmain.htm

Missouri is the same way. The additional regulations don't come into play unless you cross the state line and then it is a whole different world. Medical card, log book, DOT inspection for truck and trailer, maintenance records for truck and trailer, driver information on file. These are just a few. They can audit your records at any time. An IRS audit can be a breeze compared to a DOT audit. Hope you don't have to cross state lines.
Bear

I don't think that TxDOT has much, if anything, to do with these regulations. Probably mostly a DPS issue. The rules are changing. Fifteen or so years back, "farm use" usually trumped all size and weight rules. If you could get it loaded, you could haul it.

About all TxDOT is concerned about lately is turning every street in the state into a toll road, and then selling it to some foreign country. :banana:

Latest posts