Texas Fence Question

Help Support CattleToday:

aplusmnt

Reaction score
Saw some guys building some tall Fences for Buffalo today. And reminded me of a trip we took last year to South Padre Island and Mexico on vacation. I think it was on 35 South or maybe 37 South. But there was miles and miles of these really tall fences Maybe like 10-12 feet tall (rough guess). We never saw any livestock and land was pretty rough looking. Anyone know where I am talking about and what was they keeping in or out for such tall, expensive fences? Can them Brahman jump that high? :)

aplusmnt":l04fu4pu said:
Saw some guys building some tall Fences for Buffalo today. And reminded me of a trip we took last year to South Padre Island and Mexico on vacation. I think it was on 35 South or maybe 37 South. But there was miles and miles of these really tall fences Maybe like 10-12 feet tall (rough guess). We never saw any livestock and land was pretty rough looking. Anyone know where I am talking about and what was they keeping in or out for such tall, expensive fences? Can them Brahman jump that high? :)

Trying to keep buffalo out maybe?

dun

Thanks for ending my curiosity. They better get some big dollars for as much as I would think fences like that would cost.

I was thinking maybe I was in Caustics area and that is how he kept those Tigers in :)

aplusmnt":2ktsslnv said:
Thanks for ending my curiosity. They better get some big dollars for as much as I would think fences like that would cost.

I was thinking maybe I was in Caustics area and that is how he kept those Tigers in :)

Some of those special bucks sell for hundreds of thousands of dollars for breeding stock

dun

dun":3irnouh2 said:
aplusmnt":3irnouh2 said:

Some of those special bucks sell for hundreds of thousands of dollars for breeding stock

dun
And for shooting stock.

So they are commercial Deer herds. I was thinking they were talking about wild deer that they were just keeping fenced in.

dun":16lodm4s said:
http://www.texasdeerassociation.com/

dun

Never thought I would see a deer with an ear tag in it. Wonder if one of those tagged deer get out during season how many people call the owner up to come get him? Or you think he will be hanging on someones wall first? :D

Also I wonder if I trapped one of our Big Kansas Bucks could I get some of that big money somewhere? Might have to start working on a Deer Trap.

Believe it or not...there are those who pay upwards of $50,000 to shoot a deer that scores 180 or more.

To me it would be like shooting someone's pet cow. These deer have to be fed because they cannot free range for food. So of course they go to feeders where someone with a gun is camped in a blind waiting for him.

While there are a lot of arguements against high fences, there are plently of good reasons for them, too. I won't hunt high fence and I disagree with them for native wildlife. I won't gun hunt a feeder, either.

However, some of those ranches have exotics that can easily jump low fences and those are the boogers I'd like to keep in. Kerrville Wildlife Management Area did a study with whitetail and Axis deer. They put 10 of each in a high acreage high fence area. The first year, they both doubled in population. But after that, the Axis took over and within 10 years all the whitetail were dead. The Axis chased them out of food and then ate the browse line up high so much the deer couldn't reach it.

Most high fence ranches is not like shooting a deer in a pen. These ranches are 10,000 to 50,000 to more acres and most are not cross fenced. A free range whitetail will live most of its life within 2 square miles, so a 10,000 acre ranch will only affect the ones on the edge. Oh, and btw - I've seen photographs hanging on a wall at Coopers in Llano of big bucks easily clearing a high fence.

Typically, (not always) deer with ear tags are breeding stock and they are sold all over the country. Some of the best breeding stock is in Ohio and Pennsylvania.

Like them or not, high fenced ranches in Texas are a big, big business and they are here to stay. I agree with the arguments against them, and I'm only presenting reasons for them. As long as we have exotics, lets keep them under a high fence.

Fun fact - the King Ranch is all low fence for native wildlife hunting. Exotics only are under a high fence.

aplusmnt":1ajymnfa said:
more than likely they are exotic game/deer ranches.some of those animals cost maga bucks and need the tall fencing.

aplusmnt":3agdoojn said:
dun":3agdoojn said:
http://www.texasdeerassociation.com/

dun

Never thought I would see a deer with an ear tag in it. Wonder if one of those tagged deer get out during season how many people call the owner up to come get him? Or you think he will be hanging on someones wall first? :D

Also I wonder if I trapped one of our Big Kansas Bucks could I get some of that big money somewhere? Might have to start working on a Deer Trap.

Actually the exotics Axis,fallow etc fall under the same laws as livestock. Nice size game ranch not far from me one got out and a local shot it had to pay the owner as it was tagged and microchiped.

I dont deer hunt much, they sort of get a free pass here. I usually spend opening weekend catching trespassers. We got a local Judge that likes to break it off in em. We are getter fewer law breakers each year....imagine that.......Now squirells at my place get popped on a regular basis.... Fry em up, new potatoes, biscuts and gravy, and watch that colestrol go up.

Caustic Burno":29en7c16 said:
Actually the exotics Axis,fallow etc fall under the same laws as livestock. Nice size game ranch not far from me one got out and a local shot it had to pay the owner as it was tagged and microchiped.

I'm not refuting your story, Caustic, but personally I feel that just ain't right.

Exotics are also covered under Texas hunting laws and the law says there is no closed season on them and free range exotics may be taken with any legal means.

Here's a clip fomr the TPWD Outdoor Annual Hunting Regulations:
EXOTIC ANIMALS AND FOWL
Exotic animal refers to grass-eating or plant-eating, single-hoofed or cloven-hoofed mammals that are not indigenous or native to Texas and are known as ungulates, including animals from the deer and antelope families that landowners have introduced into this state. Includes, but is not limited to feral hog, Aoudad sheep, Axis deer, Elk, Sika deer, Fallow deer, Blackbuck antelope, Nilgai antelope, and Russian boar. Exotic fowl refers to any avian species that is not indigenous to this state, including ratites (emu, ostrich, rhea, cassowary, etc.).

There are no state bag or possession limits or closed seasons on exotic animals or fowl on private property. It is against the law to:

* Hunt an exotic without a valid hunting license.
* Hunt an exotic on a public road or right-of-way.
* Hunt an exotic without the landowner's permission.
* Possess an exotic or the carcass of an exotic without the owner's consent.

I guess they got that guy on the last bulleted item.

Dusty Britches":1x1tsc2d said:
Caustic Burno":1x1tsc2d said:

I'm not refuting your story, Caustic, but personally I feel that just ain't right.

Exotics are also covered under Texas hunting laws and the law says there is no closed season on them and free range exotics may be taken with any legal means.

Here's a clip fomr the TPWD Outdoor Annual Hunting Regulations:
EXOTIC ANIMALS AND FOWL
Exotic animal refers to grass-eating or plant-eating, single-hoofed or cloven-hoofed mammals that are not indigenous or native to Texas and are known as ungulates, including animals from the deer and antelope families that landowners have introduced into this state. Includes, but is not limited to feral hog, Aoudad sheep, Axis deer, Elk, Sika deer, Fallow deer, Blackbuck antelope, Nilgai antelope, and Russian boar. Exotic fowl refers to any avian species that is not indigenous to this state, including ratites (emu, ostrich, rhea, cassowary, etc.).

There are no state bag or possession limits or closed seasons on exotic animals or fowl on private property. It is against the law to:

* Hunt an exotic without a valid hunting license.
* Hunt an exotic on a public road or right-of-way.
* Hunt an exotic without the landowner's permission.
* Possess an exotic or the carcass of an exotic without the owner's consent.

I guess they got that guy on the last bulleted item.

Better read the livestock laws. As I stated earlier he was tagged you can impound but you can not kill without facing liability for your actions.

142.001. DEFINITIONS. In this chapter:
(1) "Estray" means stray livestock, stray exotic
livestock, or stray exotic fowl.
(2) Repealed by Acts 2003, 78th Leg., ch. 604, § 5.
(3) "Person" does not include the government or a
governmental agency or subdivision.
(4) "Exotic livestock" means grass-eating or
plant-eating, single-hooved or cloven-hooved mammals that are not
indigenous to this state and are known as ungulates, including
animals from the swine, horse, tapir, rhinoceros, elephant, deer,
and antelope families but not including a mammal defined by Section
63.001, Parks and Wildlife Code, as a game animal, or by Section
71.001, Parks and Wildlife Code, as a fur-bearing animal, or any
other indigenous mammal regulated by the Parks and Wildlife
Department as an endangered or threatened species. The term does
not include a nonindigenous mammal located on publicly owned land.
(5) "Exotic fowl" means any avian species that is not
indigenous to this state. The term includes ratites but does not
include a bird defined by Section 64.001, Parks and Wildlife Code,
as a game bird or any other indigenous bird regulated by the Parks
and Wildlife Department as an endangered or threatened species.
The term does not include nonindigenous birds located on publicly
owned land.

Amended by Acts 1987, 70th Leg., ch. 51, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1987;
Acts 1993, 73rd Leg., ch. 203, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1993; Acts
2003, 78th Leg., ch. 604, § 5, eff. Sept. 1, 2003.

§ 142.002. RIGHTS OF OCCUPANT OTHER THAN OWNER. A
person has the rights of an owner of property under this chapter if
he is a part owner, a lessee, an occupant, or a caretaker of land or
premises, but an owner and an occupant of the same property may not
recover for the same damage.

Amended by Acts 1987, 70th Leg., ch. 51, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1987.

§ 142.0021. OWNERSHIP OF EXOTIC WILDLIFE AND FOWL. A
person may claim to be the owner of exotic livestock or exotic fowl
under this chapter only if the animal is tagged, branded, banded, or
marked in another conspicuous manner that can be read or identified
from a long distance and that identifies the animal as being the
property of the claimant.

Added by Acts 1993, 73rd Leg., ch. 203, § 2, eff. Sept. 1, 1993.

§ 142.003. DISCOVERY OF ESTRAY; NOTICE. (a) If an
estray, without being herded with other livestock, roams about the
property of a person without that person's permission or roams
about public property, the owner of the private property or the
custodian of the public property, as applicable, shall, as soon as
reasonably possible, report the presence of the estray to the
sheriff of the county in which the estray is discovered.
(b) After receiving a report under Subsection (a) of this
section that an estray has been discovered on private property, the
sheriff or the sheriff's designee shall notify the owner, if known,
that the estray's location has been reported.
(c) After receiving a report under Subsection (a) of this
section that an estray has been discovered on public property, the
sheriff or the sheriff's designee shall notify the owner, if known,
that the estray's location has been reported, except that if the
sheriff or his designee determines that the estray is dangerous to
the public, he may immediately impound the estray without notifying
the owner. If the owner does not immediately remove the estray, the
sheriff or the sheriff's designee shall proceed with the
impoundment process prescribed by Section 142.009 of this code.

Amended by Acts 1987, 70th Leg., ch. 51, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1987.

§ 142.004. REDEMPTION. (a) The owner of the estray may
redeem the estray from the owner or occupant of private property by
the payment of fees and damages as provided by this chapter.
(b) If the owner of the estray does not redeem the estray
within a reasonable time after notification, the sheriff or the
sheriff's designee shall, at the request of the property owner,
proceed immediately with the impoundment process prescribed by
Section 142.009 of this code. During that period, the estray may
not be used for any purpose by the owner or occupant of the
property.

Ok the law says they are livestock if taged baned or branded.
I never thought of branding a deer, I have seen some brands that were not very legible.
Now the law says readable at a long distance, what is that?
Ten yards fifty, a hundred, this could get nasty. Some of the exotics are high dollar animals.

Latest posts