Texas drought

Help Support CattleToday:

DFW area keeps getting the good rains.....clouds formed yesterday and we got a little shower but didn't even bother to go out and check the rain guage.

TexasBred":11660w17 said:
DFW area keeps getting the good rains.....clouds formed yesterday and we got a little shower but didn't even bother to go out and check the rain guage.

Them and Louisiana. I finally got 2/10's but I think it evaporated before it hit the dust.

Yeah, me too. Finally gave in last week and hauled a bunch off to the sale barn. Just couldn't afford to keep feedin' them. Got a good rain in February, 2008 and another semi good rain in March of this year. That's it though.

I got some nice rain in July but not much of anything in August. I baled some bermuda today after waiting 3 weeks for some rain. Was pretty much dried on the stem but made 20 5x5 rolls off of 15 acres. Gives me about 54 tons off of 57 acres this year.

If you can hold on until November the weather pattern for you is suppose to change to a wet winter. May be too late by then. Still a lot of cows coming east to slaughter.

Hope we don't have to wait till November to get wet. A moist September would do just fine. This is getting old but almost predictable.

Everyone with wet hay........I dared it but no luck. Guess my sacrafice wasn't up to par.

1982vett":d6mxdg9q said:
Hope we don't have to wait till November to get wet. A moist September would do just fine. This is getting old but almost predictable.

Everyone with wet hay........I dared it but no luck. Guess my sacrafice wasn't up to par.

I laid down a field Monday and it got rained on twice yesterday, heck of a rain last night with marble size hail.

We're being threatened with scattered showers again today-Taylor got a downpour with 60mph winds yesterday :welcome: ,I got nothing.

It keeps on getting cloudy here with nothing to show for it. Had some really nice rains in July but it's starting to get dry here again. I was hoping for a wet August. It's been really raining up at the Tx/ Ok border. It was nice and green when I was up there last weekend.

Lammie":3iddt2pd said:
It keeps on getting cloudy here with nothing to show for it. Had some really nice rains in July but it's starting to get dry here again. I was hoping for a wet August.

Same here. Now I'm hopeing for a wet September. :) Rain has bypassed us for the last three days to the north and south. Last week when I got the lightning strike and a 1/10th, neighbors got 1/2 inch. Others got over an inch.

Caustic Burno":ktd1uf52 said:
1982vett":ktd1uf52 said:

I laid down a field Monday and it got rained on twice yesterday, heck of a rain last night with marble size hail.

Had to go to a funeral up around Monroe, La last weekend and went through you part of Texas, CB. Sure did look pretty and green. Found one feller up around Center, I think, who offered me hay for around $40/bale. Said he had 500 bales he could let go. I started to buy all of it but with only 34 head left I figured I couldn't feed it all before it went bad on me. I did pass his name and phone number along to a couple of folks who are really in bad shape.

Supposed to have a shower right on top of us,but not a drop showing outside :frowns:

lavacarancher":179p8lrg said:
Caustic Burno":179p8lrg said:
1982vett":179p8lrg said:

Had to go to a funeral up around Monroe, La last weekend and went through you part of Texas, CB. Sure did look pretty and green. Found one feller up around Center, I think, who offered me hay for around $40/bale. Said he had 500 bales he could let go. I started to buy all of it but with only 34 head left I figured I couldn't feed it all before it went bad on me. I did pass his name and phone number along to a couple of folks who are really in bad shape.

We got almost an inch last night and another one today the weather guru's had it predicted to be clear all week until it went to raining. What a job you get paid to be wrong most of the time.

So far all the promised rain has went to the north of us.We sure could use some.
Also the grashopers are about to take over.It's been a while since i've seen them this bad.

Cal

Cal, the grasshoppers are bad here too, although they are small, their are probably 30-40 per square foot in some places(wherever their is still some green in the grass).

I've seen some swarms of blackbirds lately, usually they show up around here when the weather turns cool. That hasn't happen yet but I'm beginning to think maybe it is because of the grasshopper smorgasbord. Looking forward to one of those cold, dreary, slow, 3-4 day winter rains. :nod:

CB, I bet you could sell some of that nice Bahia hay for a pretty penny in my area and even more so down in south Texas, the Austin-Bastrop area, etc. if you were of a mind to. But I know you're not a seller; and your philosophy of "there's no such thing as too much hay" is a good one. You wouldn't believe the amount of milo stalks that have been baled up this year around here. I bet about 8 out of every 10 milo fields in my general area have been baled. And of course you never really know what guys mean when they say "large round bales" in their ads, but there are hundreds of guys advertising milo bales for anywhere between $35 and $50. I got some the other day for $40 but they came from my former tenant's irrigated field right across the road from one of my places so there was still some good green leaf material and re-growth seed heads in them (not just stalks !! ) and they are really tight and heavy, net wrapped bales. Outside of east Texas it sure has been a terrible couple of years for farmers and ranchers. Keep giving those hog hades. AZ

1982vett":26i73vps said:
Cal, the grasshoppers are bad here too, although they are small, their are probably 30-40 per square foot in some places(wherever their is still some green in the grass).

I've seen some swarms of blackbirds lately, usually they show up around here when the weather turns cool. That hasn't happen yet but I'm beginning to think maybe it is because of the grasshopper smorgasbord. Looking forward to one of those cold, dreary, slow, 3-4 day winter rains. :nod:

I will sure go along with the cold rainy day's.
The only good thing about grrasshoppers is they make good catfish bait and are easy to catch.

Cal

It's raining this morning in my part of Texas. :clap: :clap:
Hope you are getting some your way.
You getting any rain your way,Vett?

Cal

Latest posts