Texas Drought Livestock Assistance Grant

Help Support CattleToday:

cowboy44

Reaction score
A question I have in filling out the form, and it is the main one is, ( Your Total Estimatied Forage Production Losses March 7,2006 to August 31,2006 Total $_______. The place I have is
mixed pastures some solid Post Oak Trees a head to 25 acres, mesquite a head to 10 acres coastal a head to 5 acres . All the l land is now bare with nothing to go into the winter with but feed no rain to plant winter grazing . The question is how do you figure the forage loss ?They want a $ amount Experienced people I have talked to do not know> Any help would be appreciated.

You are going to have to make an educated guess. Last time they offered something like this program all you had to do was estimate the perentage of forage production that was lost. Now they want you to convert dollars. So many will probably apply that the dollars will be few for each producer. But hey, it may get a few votes and this is an election year!

Figure what your normal hay production is and what your hay production was this year. Multiply the difference by the going price of hay in your area.

Grazing losses are harder to "guestimate".

C HOLLAND":1bghu49l said:
CB is good at this,,,,just ask him for help :lol: :lol:

It takes 27 pounds of forage a day per cow that should give you a start.
I don't agree with this but if you are going to file you should be honest.

I concur, CB - you should be honest with yourself and with others.

And the forage loss period is March to August. Does not cover losses of winter forage.

Latest posts