Texas Dog Hunters Association

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
If there are any dog hunters out there, take a look at this group. We are a non-profit group who works to protect and promote working/ hunting dogs. We have scholarships for our members, legal funds, contests, work with youth, and alot of other good stuff.

Tdha is looking to branch out and get more coon hunters, waterfowl, upland bird hunters, small game, cow dog people, and any thing else you can think of that involves hunting or working with dogs.

Check out the forum and website. If you have any question shoot me a pm, e-mail, or some thing. Thanks

http://thenewtdha.com/smf1.5/

I don't do too much dog hunting. Don't need to.

Every time I step out the back door, there she is...........

Sorry. My resistance is pretty low this morning.

Dog hunting has earned a bad name around here when it is in reference to deer. Some of these guys just didn't care and it cost them there right to hunt deer with dogs. I don't mean this in a bad way but I doubt that many of the quail hunters or duck hunters in my area would want their sport to be associated with deer hunting with dogs. Pig hunting is a different story cause most of the landowners are pleased to be rid of the pigs but I'm afraid some of the pig hunters are going to assume too much and end up messing it up for those who are sportsman and understand the need of requesting permission and informing landowners of what and when they are going to hunt.

Brute 23":rws2u2ci said:
If there are any dog hunters out there, take a look at this group. We are a non-profit group who works to protect and promote working/ hunting dogs. We have scholarships for our members, legal funds, contests, work with youth, and alot of other good stuff.

Tdha is looking to branch out and get more coon hunters, waterfowl, upland bird hunters, small game, cow dog people, and any thing else you can think of that involves hunting or working with dogs.

Check out the forum and website. If you have any question shoot me a pm, e-mail, or some thing. Thanks

Dog Hunters (Deer) are normally the bottom dwellers of the deer hunting world. We ran all that riff raff off 25 years ago. Normally your basic deer dog owner owns a trailer on 5 acres with 20 blue tick hounds in a cage out back near a broken down truck and boat.
They starve their dogs prior to hunting season because they say " a fat dog won't run or hunt". Not exactly a group I would want anything to do with.
1. Scholarships? who would give their hard earned money to a drunken toothless tobaccy dipping redneck with 11th grade education-- who hasnt ever done anything to help conserve the wildlife they hunt? All taking and no giving = no giving to your organization.
2. Legal Funds-- you probably need those funds to pay for all the suits against dog hunters that hunt on private lands without permission
3. Contests? - who can find their dogs after an illegal hunt on private property
4. Working with Youth-- I wouldnt want any of your beer laden tobaccy chewing non-land owning misfits anywhere near my children.
5. "Other Good stuff" - Like what?

You have a hard task ahead of you if you want support from landowners that have ever had the misfortune of having to deal with the beer drinking scallywag hunting over the hood of his 4-wheel drive deer hunter. Good Luck with that - you will need it.

What chaps my backside is the idea that you would even link a starving tick infested mutt deer dog with a real working dog like a stock dog. I have been training cattle working dogs for 25 years and 1 stock dog is worth about 40 deer dog hunters and their tick infested mutts.

Instead of supporting deer dog hunters who only take-take-take from the wildlife population, I think we are all better served for the continued support we give to the wildlife that you run down and kill by the thousands.

edrsimms":3rir24wj said:
Brute 23":3rir24wj said:

Dog Hunters (Deer) are normally the bottom dwellers of the deer hunting world. We ran all that riff raff off 25 years ago. Normally your basic deer dog owner owns a trailer on 5 acres with 20 blue tick hounds in a cage out back near a broken down truck and boat.
They starve their dogs prior to hunting season because they say " a fat dog won't run or hunt". Not exactly a group I would want anything to do with.
1. Scholarships? who would give their hard earned money to a drunken toothless tobaccy dipping redneck with 11th grade education-- who hasnt ever done anything to help conserve the wildlife they hunt? All taking and no giving = no giving to your organization.
2. Legal Funds-- you probably need those funds to pay for all the suits against dog hunters that hunt on private lands without permission
3. Contests? - who can find their dogs after an illegal hunt on private property
4. Working with Youth-- I wouldnt want any of your beer laden tobaccy chewing non-land owning misfits anywhere near my children.

You have a hard task ahead of you if you want support from landowners that have ever had the misfortune of having to deal with the beer drinking scallywag hunting over the hood of his 4-wheel drive deer hunter. Good Luck with that - you will need it.

What chaps my backside is the idea that you would even link a starving tick infested mutt deer dog with a real working dog like a stock dog. I have been training cattle working dogs for 25 years and 1 stock dog is worth about 40 deer dog hunters and their tick infested mutts.

Instead of supporting deer dog hunters who only take-take-take from the wildlife population, I think we are all better served for the continued support we give to the wildlife that you run down and kill by the thousands.

Don't hold back, tell us how you realy feel :lol2:

I do not deer hunt and it is illegal to hunt deer here with dogs but I do coon hunt and all deer hunters like coon hunters can't be bad. I have very well kept dogs worth from $1000 to $10,000. I hunt only where I have permission which is just about anywhere near here.
I gave a 15 year boy a $1000 dog last year because he could not afford a coon dog. I will do anything I can to help these kids. I know everyone is not good but like people who starve their cattle you should not group everyone together.
Think of the money spent is many areas by hunters. Much of this goes to help conserve the wildlife not to destroy it.
Jogeephus, how much money is spent by quail hunters in your area. And those from TX, probably more spent there than anywhere else I know. Is there not more wildlife now in your areas than ever before. Much of the reason for this is the money spent by the hunters.

kenny thomas":em3sflvt said:
Jogeephus, how much money is spent by quail hunters in your area. And those from TX, probably more spent there than anywhere else I know. Is there not more wildlife now in your areas than ever before. Much of the reason for this is the money spent by the hunters.

A lot of money is spent from meals to lodging to tips. Don't get me wrong, I'm pro hunting for sure but I believe there is an etiquette that we as sportsmen should adhere to and unfortunately many of the deer dog hunters I know do not think these unwritten rules apply to them and they give this sport and hunting as a whole a bad name. When four truckloads of dogs are released on 60 acres of land and you find the dogs and hunters all over the adjoining properties you got a problem - especially when the adjoining properties are of significant size. When questioned, these yahoos always say that the dogs don't know where the landlines are. I understand this but I also understand it is unsafe for 8 people to hunt a 60 acre parcel of land and their true intent was never to hunt the 60 acre parcel.

A couple of years ago I gave permission for some hog hunters to hunt our land a particular weekend. They got permission from all other adjoining landowners and everything was well coordinated and everyone was pleased. A month later I happen by the property and find 8 trucks on our roads, open beer, gates opened and some people I'd never seen hunting pigs without permission. Some of these same people were the ones who used to hunt deer until we outlawed it in the county. I think this would leave a bad taste in anyone's mouth but the difference between me and some other people is that I don't group this a problem with hunting but only with dog hunting. So what I'm thinking is that if the dog hunters want to gain grass roots support for their sport they best do some house cleaning first otherwise they will lose support they have. JMO

We used to deer hunt with dogs around here, same people ran coyotes with there dogs. They keep the coyote population under control pretty good. Now some of the same people who helped ban deer hunting with dogs are begging these same hunters to run coyotes with there dogs. Ain't happening. I hope i never live to see the day that i have to call my neighbors evertime i want to go on there property. My neighbors no that if they want to hunt on my land to go hunt. Have not ever put up the first no hunting sign or purple paint. Kenny Thomas if you are ever in the Richland Valley of Searcy County Arkansas you will be more than welcome to cast your hounds on any of my land or my neighbors land. There is people out there just like Jo and edrsims have talked about i have seen them to. Most of the dog folks in my area go out of there way not to piss people off. By the way edrsims Blueticks are tree dogs and not used for deer hunting.

I think its a good thing that the TDHA is doing what it is doing but I'm saying they got some PR they need to mend. I'm not against dog hunting or any type of hunting as long as it is done properly. Rogue dog hunters, poachers and the like are a threat to our right to hunt. We are going to have a hard enough time fighting the prairie fairies and tree huggers without giving them free ammunition. Some people don't see this as a threat but I do. Maybe the TDHA can better educate those few who give so many an undeserved bad name. I don't want to see one brick removed from our hunting rights cause once its gone they will be picking at another one. And Brute, Kenny or any others who would like to run your dogs on our place you are welcome to it. I'm sure you understand the importance of leaving a gate just as you found it unlike some.

kenny thomas":3jrwmy8h said:
I do not deer hunt and it is illegal to hunt deer here with dogs but I do coon hunt and all deer hunters like coon hunters can't be bad. I have very well kept dogs worth from $1000 to $10,000. I hunt only where I have permission which is just about anywhere near here.
I gave a 15 year boy a $1000 dog last year because he could not afford a coon dog. I will do anything I can to help these kids. I know everyone is not good but like people who starve their cattle you should not group everyone together.
Think of the money spent is many areas by hunters. Much of this goes to help conserve the wildlife not to destroy it.
I didnt group everyone together--- I was specific when I said Deer dog hunters. 25 years ago when they ran their dogs over any and every property they wanted to (they thought) it took some time to get rid of them -- but we did it. We caught their dogs and put them in a pen and sold them back to them for 100 dollars a piece. That put a quick end to deer hunting with dogs in this part of the country. I am pro-hunting if it is done with some sportmanship, although I doubt you will find many people that are willing to support an organization that has had such bad publicity (although earned) and usually made up of non-landowners who (like I said earlier) own a trailer on 5 acres with a pen full of tick infested starved dogs in the backyard.

When people think of a deer dog hunter this is what comes to their minds--- here is a visual.
1. 4 wheel drive pickup, tool box/dogbox
2. beer cans in the back of their truck, cooler full or warm miller
3. starved hounds
4. 20+ idiots standing parallel to each other 50 ft apart like a firing squad ready to shoot the deer when they pass or each other (what a sport that is)
5. tabaccy chewing drool running out the corner of their teeth optional mouths (their teeth looking like cheese doodles)
6. dirty drunken scum with a gun (this isnt the look that makes people want to give their hard earned money to in support)

Clean up your act and get rid of some of your inhouse scum and maybe in a few decades if you are still around you might have some good public support

I guess that since running deer with dogs has always been illegal here and i have not had to deal with them I over thought some of your statements. We do still have a few hunters here that do not respect boundries, gates, or anything else. I work to get rid of them also. As Jogeephus stated the groups have enough ammo to work with without us giving them more. Jogeephus, I already have a hunt promised with ga prime this winter so I might just drop by. Too all the others thanks also.

kenny thomas":nyc43jru said:
I already have a hunt promised with ga prime this winter so I might just drop by.

If your schedule permits drop by. Seems I'm always around due to this 70 mile rule. :lol2:

kenny thomas":1q23hntg said:
OK, i got to ask what is the 70 mile rule?

If I get beyond this point the cows decide to walk to Walmart. Actually, its rarely ever my cows always the neighbors or anyone who has cows within 10 miles of me. I'm considered "the guy with the cows" in my area of the county and if a cow gets out within 10 miles of my place the sheriff's office calls me. It just rarely ever happens unless I'm this far from home.

We in no way promote illegal or unethical hunting tactics. We promote responsible hunting in our membership.

We give example of forms that the land owner and the person who was given permission to hunt can use that lay out all the rules,,, such as # of people allowed on property, game to be removed, guns or no guns, # of dogs, and more. We also are looking at how land owners would take to hunters having insurance policies like a contractor who works for you? Many of us have contracts with farmers, municipalities, neighborhoods, golf corses, and more for hog removal.

I have no opinion of the deer and dog deal... there are good and bad people in every group. As far as I know it is illegal in Texas. I will tell you that when the anti-s go after hunting with dogs we are all going to be lumped together... just look at the breed laws trying to be passed. They will not go after one group.

Actually take a looks at the website, it might explain more. We have a legal section that talks about some of the laws trying to be passed in Texas.

No where in the whole website or any thing else this group puts out does it talk about deer dogs. Please keep your ignorance to youself unless you want help to learn. Thanks

edrsimms":7q2e74uh said:
Brute 23":7q2e74uh said:

Latest posts