Texas Cattle to Montana

Help Support CattleToday:

wonder how much brahman influence is in them?? they should do good as far as forage.. the problem with y'all winters is,, here we have time to adapt into the cold up there its '''bam' over night, a regular snow there.... would be a concidered a blizzard here, they want have time to hair up and when they do im afraid it wont be much

Lon":2vz7pk6w said:
TexasBred":2vz7pk6w said:
hillsdown":2vz7pk6w said:
Commercial pairs were averaging 1650 here last week bred cows 1350 . 600-700 lb heifers 1.42 and steers 600-700 1.50 lb

Butcher bulls 90 cents and butcher cows 74 cents . Our dollar is just a few cents more than the US right now, so pretty much par .
HD hardly anything gets thru the ring as a pair. they split them and sell them individually...still they won't bring. The calf will sell good but cow prices are down some so she won't sell quite as well. Added together they might bring 1200 IF the calf if 400 lbs. or so. But even when pairs were available they just have never brought the price you folks are talking about. Bulls are down to around $.68 a lb. too from a high around $.90. Lon cattle from Texas would be pretty stressed out riding all the way up to your area. Don't think I'd want any of them either.

we still have bulls 73-90 high yielding cows 76.

As I said "Not down here". They were that high a few months ago but have come down. Good packer cows went in the high 80's for several weeks.

ND ranchers fined, ordered to remove cattle

AgWeek - Sept 13, 2011

BISMARCK, N.D. — The state Board of Animal health has fined two Morton County ranchers $500 and ordered them to send 78 cows and their calves out of state for failing to meet North Dakota's importation requirements.

Authorities say Donald Hatzenbuhler and his son, Brandon, of Solen, bought the cattle from a South Dakota dealer. Documentation found that all but one of the animals were from Texas.

North Dakota rules require cattle from Texas to be tested for bovine tuberculosis prior to being brought into the state...

This is the reason I dislike the mass movement of cattle from one area to another...Too many disregard the rules- and the chances for spread of diseases goes way up...

I found out a little more about these Texas cows that came to our area...They belong to the Four Six's ranch of Texas- and the local fella is running about 750 head for them on a three year contract... Neighbors told me they are calving right now- so they better hope the hard winter that is again predicted holds off a month or two...

Looks like Four 6's raises angus. They should ok up there. Jusst have to grow a little more hair. Calving them at this time of the year tho does look questionable at best.

I was yacking with a friend of mine today that has a couple of k acres spread over a bunch of the county. He has broguht in 3 loads of bred 3-5 year olds from texas. He says they take about a month and they start to realy look good, by 2 months they're hard to tell apart from his other cows except for the brands. He's on KY31 but is feeding some kind of liquid supplement (not mix30) and they're eating about 2 1/2 pounds of it a day. He figures as cheap as he got them he's gonna make money, they've started calving already and the calves are doing well too. If I think about it and anyone is interested I'll ask him what the stuff is when I see him again.

Latest posts