Texas cattle haulers question

Help Support CattleToday:

cowboy43

Reaction score
To haul cattle legally for other people and profit in Tex. with a small rig like truck and gooseneck trailer, is a special permit required, like from the railroad commission or other state agency, also is their a special insurance policy for hauling commerically to cover the cost of the hauling rig and cargo? My concern is if you hire a local hauler or neighbor who does it as a sideline and he is in a severe wreck with a load of cattle worth tens of thousands of dollars , will my cattle be covered and will I be liable in a lawsuit as the owner of the cattle. What concerns and questions should a person ask before hiring someone to haul their livestock.

I don't think a permit is needed. I doubt if the scene you describe happen your cattle would be covered within the legal minimum insurance required. Then again it depends on the value of what he runs over. If the dudes driving a 100k Mercedes Benz there wouldnt be enough coverage to pay for it and your cows. I don't see how you could be liable in a situation like that. Call your insurance agent and see what he has to say. I would be interested in hearing his advice. Thanks.

for your cattle tobe ins the hauler should have tobe ins an bonded.in case the unthinkable happens.i know guys that haul alot of high dollar cattle.

My understanding is any haul for hire is supposed to have a federal DOT #. That being said, most gooseneck haulers I know of do not have this. Not aware of any penalties for the cargo owner but it could be expensive for the trucker if he gets caught.

The only way for your animals to be covered is for the hauler to have a cargo insurance policy. His liability insurance will not cover property of others while it is under his care, custody or control. The only way to know for sure he has cargo coverage is for his agent to send you a certificate of insurance for the cargo policy. It is important that the $ limit 0f insurance is enough to cover the total value of your cargo. If the agent sends you a certificate and later the policy cancels he has to notify you of the cancellation. A copy of the actual policy is no good because it could have been cancelled the day after it was issued and you wouldn't know it. Providing Certificates of Insurance are just a part of doing business for many businesses. It has been my experience that anybody who resists providing a certificate of insurance probably has something to hide.

Latest posts