Texas Bred (And anyone else) Feed Analysis

Help Support CattleToday:

JMJ Farms

Reaction score
What is the good and bad of this analysis? Liquid Feed. $325/ton. I've got a lot of standing, lower quality grass is like for them to eat up before I start feeding hay.

TennesseeTuxedo":42cx4i8p said:
JMJ Farms":42cx4i8p said:
TennesseeTuxedo":42cx4i8p said:

TB must be watching the football game :lol2: I wish I was smart enough that I didn't have to ask these questions. But I ain't.

Well his Aggies already won so he should be by sooner or later.

I watched a good bit of that one. Jimbo Fisher was not a happy camper. Even with the W.

I didn't get to watch anything but the 4th quarter , I was disappointed , but will never give up on my hogs.WPS

I was on the biggest registered Brangus spread Wednesday and they fed liquid feed year round. I was told $115 per head per year. But they never fertilize anything and the hermathia grass was unbelievable. They feel it's the most cost effective way to supplement the abundance of 5% grass.

One problem I always have with tubs and licks is that most of the protien comes from urea. Which is just fine since it is blended with a simple sugar like molasses, so when it is broke down in the ruman and becomes free nitrogen, it has a carbohydrate to attach to. But the cost of urea is dirt cheap on a protien basis. So the cost of a tub or lick that has 25% protien from npn really cost around $15 for the nitrogen, plus the cost of molasses, and a mineral/vit package.
Now if they were using more than just urea for the majority of there protien then it might be worth the cost.
Sorry more of a rant than help.

JMJ Farms":34biq0rj said:
What is the good and bad of this analysis? Liquid Feed. $325/ton. I've got a lot of standing, lower quality grass is like for them to eat up before I start feeding hay.

JMJ sorry to be so late to the party. This product is just your "typical" liquid feed. Nothing wrong with it but nothing exceptional either. You won't get any weight gain but it will help cattle maintain weight when fed low quality roughage. Nothing wrong with having the urea (NPN) either. A good cost cutter and effective.

TexasBred":3dzcq7kg said:
JMJ Farms":3dzcq7kg said:

JMJ sorry to be so late to the party. This product is just your "typical" liquid feed. Nothing wrong with it but nothing exceptional either. You won't get any weight gain but it will help cattle maintain weight when fed low quality roughage. Nothing wrong with having the urea (NPN) either. A good cost cutter and effective.

Thanks TB. Is there a better alternative that will help with cleaning up the lower quality roughage and promote weight gain? Or is that like having your cake and eating it too?

JMJ Farms":3mmlpfca said:
TexasBred":3mmlpfca said:
JMJ Farms":3mmlpfca said:

Thanks TB. Is there a better alternative that will help with cleaning up the lower quality roughage and promote weight gain? Or is that like having your cake and eating it too?
One with a higher fat content would have more energy but with limited intake it's doubtful it give much gain AND it would probably cost considerably more.

JMJ Farms":8zl77p96 said:

is that in 200lb lick tubs or just straight liquid you gotta pour on bales?

MtnCows93":1y1kuecc said:
JMJ Farms":1y1kuecc said:

Straight liquid. Most common way to feed it around here is in lick wheel tanks.

JMJ Farms":5dpf96ul said:
MtnCows93":5dpf96ul said:
JMJ Farms":5dpf96ul said:

that makes sence, ive seen them but never used one.

MtnCows93":2hqwz7h1 said:
JMJ Farms":2hqwz7h1 said:
MtnCows93":2hqwz7h1 said:

They work real good. It's just an expensive way to feed cows imo. But it will help utilize some of this low quality standing forage.

JMJ Farms":3cm3x5p1 said:
MtnCows93":3cm3x5p1 said:
JMJ Farms":3cm3x5p1 said:

They work real good. It's just an expensive way to feed cows imo. But it will help utilize some of this low quality standing forage.
ive thought about using it with cows on corn stalks that might be economical

MtnCows93":2rzijdaj said:
JMJ Farms":2rzijdaj said:
MtnCows93":2rzijdaj said:

ive thought about using it with cows on corn stalks that might be economical

I think that would be even better than what I'm planning to use it for.

I just don't like urea. I can't give you any scientific data just real world experience. Many years ago when we were still trying to build our herd we had a contract with a big operation to be a cooperative herd. We would set up our cattle as recips the first two years we were having conception rates of 65% the first year 70% the second year. The third year we fed liquid feed with urea and our conception rate went to 35%. The only change in management was the liquid feed. When the embryologist started trying to nail down what was going on and we showed him the breakdown of the feed he told us urea would have an adverse effect on conception. Like I said I can't show any evidence that it was the urea but by golly that was the end of liquid feed for me.

Gizmom

gizmom":2po365sl said:
I just don't like urea. I can't give you any scientific data just real world experience. Many years ago when we were still trying to build our herd we had a contract with a big operation to be a cooperative herd. We would set up our cattle as recips the first two years we were having conception rates of 65% the first year 70% the second year. The third year we fed liquid feed with urea and our conception rate went to 35%. The only change in management was the liquid feed. When the embryologist started trying to nail down what was going on and we showed him the breakdown of the feed he told us urea would have an adverse effect on conception. Like I said I can't show any evidence that it was the urea but by golly that was the end of liquid feed for me.

Gizmom

I've heard this about urea for years. But I know a lot of folks that feed liquid feed. I honestly don't have the slightest idea if it affects conception. Hard to argue with experience though :tiphat: Could be an expensive lesson to learn.

Latest posts