Texas Boar Hunt

Help Support CattleToday:

Being how we do not have an invasion here of wild hogs... and hope we never do, but they are moving north.... it amazes me that there are so many wild pigs and hogs out there all the time....

Granddaughter got a NICE deer.
The wild pig population in Australia is a bit of a worry, they get into some pretty rough country and are impossible to eradicate, even up the back of my place it is very difficult to deal with them. Trapping and baiting are the best options, dogs just tend to scatter them. We have Swine Fever just to the islands north of us so just a hop, skip and a jump across to us and our wild pigs are there to oblige with spreading it. Also if Foot and Mouth disease got across to us the wild pig population would make it very difficult to eradicate.

Ken

The wild pig population in Australia is a bit of a worry, they get into some pretty rough country and are impossible to eradicate, even up the back of my place it is very difficult to deal with them. Trapping and baiting are the best options, dogs just tend to scatter them. We have Swine Fever just to the islands north of us so just a hop, skip and a jump across to us and our wild pigs are there to oblige with spreading it. Also if Foot and Mouth disease got across to us the wild pig population would make it very difficult to eradicate.

Ken
They are literally the plague!

Ken
That is why they are trying so hard to stop transporting here. They are also really pushing using water troughs and such instead of earth pits for livestock water. Hogs transport to many diseases that affect cattle and actually humans. Hogs waller in the stock tank, cows come drink, now your herd is infected.

The conundrum is hog hunting has become good source of revenue and entertainment for a lot of people. There has been quite the uproar against eradication.

With what I see CB posting, and others, eradication looks to me to be near impossible... but I know that alot of ranchers and farmers would sure like to see the numbers really reduced to stop the damage. They seem to multiply faster than rabbits... even faster than mosquitos around here....

Being how we do not have an invasion here of wild hogs... and hope we never do, but they are moving north.... it amazes me that there are so many wild pigs and hogs out there all the time....

Granddaughter got a NICE deer.
I believe all 50 states has a hog problem, if you haven't you will. They breed so fast you could kill 10 and within 2 weeks there will be 30 to replace them.

After ~15" of rain last month one water gap got hung open by a branch, and we opened the other to let debris coming down creek to go on thru. Our fence is pretty much dog-proof but during a rain animals get through the water gaps.
water trap2.jpgsouth water trap.jpg

A little pig wandered in the barn with the weaners a few days ago. With the piglet moving around the calves feet, after a few days they were all getting pretty comfortable with their new herdmate.

After a couple of days we found this new herdmate in an armadillo trap we had set in the barn. Not wanting to mess with killing and disposing, I called the sheriff's animal control. They said it was to hot to come and get him, and that I would have to let him go.

piglet trapped.JPG

So he was relocted to a shallow hole.

It's cheap and effective, actually more effective and a lot less messy. You got to get the rooters out of the trap.
Savvy the mess. Exactly where do you place the shot and how is it more effective? I'm new at this. Thanks.

Draw an X from ear to eye place 22 LR bullet there.
What the sheriff told you is illegal. Once caught they must be transported to an approved facility or disposed of.

After ~15" of rain last month one water gap got hung open by a branch, and we opened the other to let debris coming down creek to go on thru. Our fence is pretty much dog-proof but during a rain animals get through the water gaps.
View attachment 5206View attachment 5207

A little pig wandered in the barn with the weaners a few days ago. With the piglet moving around the calves feet, after a few days they were all getting pretty comfortable with their new herdmate.

After a couple of days we found this new herdmate in an armadillo trap we had set in the barn. Not wanting to mess with killing and disposing, I called the sheriff's animal control. They said it was to hot to come and get him, and that I would have to let him go.

View attachment 5208

So he was relocted to a shallow hole.

Savvy the mess. Exactly where do you place the shot and how is it more effective? I'm new at this. Thanks.
Nice gap.

Wanted to let you all know - the meat is great. Butcher made steaks out of the loins and they were great. We have had the Hot Sausage (which was really good) and had breakfast sausage this am. I made biscuits and sausage gravy.
I would guess, if you have a butch that knows how to spice and add hog fat, it should all be good. I was just a little leery of the "steaks". But, great flavor and tender.

Latest posts