Texas Beer Joint Sues Church

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred

Reaction score
In a small Texas town, (Mt. Vernon) Drummond's bar began construction on a new building to increase their business.. The local Baptist church started a campaign to block the bar from opening with petitions and prayers. Work progressed right up till the week before opening when lightning struck the bar and it burned to the ground.

The church folks were rather smug in their outlook after that, until the bar owner sued the church on the grounds that the church was ultimately responsible for the demise of his building, either through direct or indirect actions or means.

The church vehemently denied all responsibility or any connection to the building's demise in its reply to the court.

As the case made its way into court, the judge looked over the paperwork. At the hearing he commented, 'I don't know how I'm going to decide this, but as it appears from the paperwork, we have a bar owner who believes in the power of prayer, and an entire church congregation that does not.'

Something similar occurred in my home town. Small rural place wanting a retail alcohol license in a dry bible belt county. Church and politicians prevented it. The district attorney eventually got run out of town when he got a DWI. He is no longer alive now (suicide) but he could have run for office, pastor, or judge and won.

Jogeephus":1ubwkx9c said:
Undoubtedly the attorney who is handling the case for the bar owner doesn't believe in God.

Nor the church members...or at least they're denying that "God Answers Prayer". Seems scripture speaks of people like that.

Jogeephus":37zje6l2 said:
Undoubtedly the attorney who is handling the case for the bar owner doesn't believe in God.

Neither does the bar owner, or he would take the hint and move on.

Larry

This post got me to wondering. If the beer joint wins do you think the Jackson's will sue Farrah Faucett's estate? Afterall, wasn't her final prayer that all children would be safe? Then you know what happened only 6 hours later. Coincidence?

Jogeephus":2okeafjq said:
This post got me to wondering. If the beer joint wins do you think the Jackson's will sue Farrah Faucett's estate? Afterall, wasn't her final prayer that all children would be safe? Then you know what happened only 6 hours later. Coincidence?
:lol: I could see that happening

Jogeephus":1cxdap9j said:

If there's a $ in it you can count on it.....the old man will for a fact. :lol2:

Jogeephus":10fngqfh said:

Hmmmmm? A prayer by an angel to cast out demons? Makes ya think doesn't it?

Larry