Texas A&M voted worst of worst -the saga continues

Help Support CattleToday:

4CTophand

Reaction score
Football and men's basketball players are averaging hundreds of points less on their college entrance exams than their classmates, according to a newspaper's study of 54 public universities.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution review found the biggest gap between football players and students occurred at the University of Florida, where players scored 346 points lower than the school's overall student body.

Football players averaged 220 points lower on the SAT than their classmates — and men's basketball players average seven points less than football players.

The paper reviewed 54 public universities, including the members of the six Bowl Championship Series conferences — the Big East, Big 12, Big Ten, Pac-10, SEC and ACC — and other schools whose teams finished the 2007-08 season ranked among the football or men's basketball top 25.

Best average SAT score at Georgia Tech
Georgia Tech's football players had the nation's best average SAT score average, 1,028 of a possible 1,600, and best average high school GPA, 3.39 of a possible 4.0 in the core curriculum. But Tech's football players still scored 315 SAT points lower on average than their classmates.

UCLA has won more NCAA championships in all sports than any other school and had the biggest gap between the average SAT scores of athletes in all sports and its overall student body, at 247 points.

Critics say athletes who arrive on campus unprepared to compete academically get shuffled off to easy majors and unchallenging courses and don't receive much of an education.

"The problem is there's a huge world of Mickey Mouse courses and special curriculums that athletes are steered into," Murray Sperber, a visiting professor in the University of California's graduate school of education, told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. "The problem is there are many athletes graduating from schools who are semiliterate."

The Worst of the Worst

Many schools routinely used a special admissions process to admit athletes who did not meet the normal entrance requirements. More than half of scholarship athletes at the University of Georgia, the University of Wisconsin, Clemson University, UCLA, Rutgers University, LSU and Texas A&M University were special admits.

It would be interesting to compare the admission requirements for the major universities. Getting a "special admit" into TAMU may not be such a bad thing when you look at the admission requirements and the average SAT score of all of the incoming freshman.

The Worst of the Worst

Many schools routinely used a special admissions process to admit athletes who did not meet the normal entrance requirements. More than half of scholarship athletes at the University of Georgia, the University of Wisconsin, Clemson University, UCLA, Rutgers University, LSU and Texas A&M University were special admits.

I'd be willing to bet that the admission requirements at TAMU are higher than most of the other schools. I've heard that now if you are not in the top 10% of your graduating high school class, you don't stand much chance of getting into TAMU as a freshman. I know there are some smart football players out there, but I bet the average football player with the skills to get a scholarship to play at a major college are not in the top 10% of their graduating class.

This has been going on for years. It's not just a colleges, it also goes down to the high school levels too.

As always ......... follow the money.

This is nothing new. Been this way for ages. Guess that's why they give them "football scholarships" instead of "academic scholarships". From the looks of this year's football record everyone spent too much time studying and not enough time practicing..... Back when athletes had to take military science just like everyone else it was a real hoot the one day a week they had to put on their military uniforms. Talking about "Cadet Slouch". Randy Matson was the exception. Very intelligent and very very sharp in his uniform.

I just don't understand the premise of the newspaper article. Seems like a big "duh" to me. Would anybody really expect the average NCAA football players SAT score to be as high as the average freshman SAT score? And would you really expect the average player to major in nuclear physics? Just another newspaper trying to stir up some news and sell a paper.

skyline":2v2hro75 said:
I just don't understand the premise of the newspaper article. Seems like a big "duh" to me. Would anybody really expect the average NCAA football players SAT score to be as high as the average freshman SAT score? And would you really expect the average player to major in nuclear physics? Just another newspaper trying to stir up some news and sell a paper.

Skyline the prace of "special programs" begins in high school. Half the H.S. football athletes in the country are in some "special program". AND they get a piece of paper when the finish 12 years. Not necessarily a diploma but a certificate of completion.

......can't read a book...or write.....

......or put together enough words to make an understandable sentence.....

You know. You know whut I'm saying ? You know.

At T. U., they don't worry about grades. The problem is getting enough of them out of jail at one time to play a game. :kid: :lol2:

Jogeephus":2f1qxbde said:
Jim62You know. You know whut I'm saying ? You know.[/quote:2f1qxbde said:
Don't mean to highjack the thread but does anyone know what sport Carolyn Kennedy played?
;-)

Dunno. But do you reckon it qualified her to be a US Senator?

skyline":15o5gfub said:
Jogeephus":15o5gfub said:
Jim62You know. You know whut I'm saying ? You know.[/quote:15o5gfub said:
Don't mean to highjack the thread but does anyone know what sport Carolyn Kennedy played?
;-)

Dunno. But do you reckon it qualified her to be a US Senator?

Captain of the mattress thrashing team. That was when paper bags became popular.

3waycross":j17evi3e said:
DAMMIT TB!!!!!!!!!!!!

You made me blow coffee out my nose :lol2:

3 Way...if she's attended Texas A&M she could have been an All American and had a PhD in 3 semesters. :lol2: :oops: :lol:

Latest posts