Texas 4-h-Heifer questions

Help Support CattleToday:

spinandslide

Reaction score
I can seem to find this information on the web, so if anyone can help, Id appreciate it. :)

When a animal is classified as a heifer, is there an age limit(on the animal?) Can she not even be exposed to a bull or in calf? Is the term heifer used on the animal until she actually pops the little un out?

I ask, as I thought to use our now 6 month old calf next year for my son's heifer project(just county show really..and the local fair, mabey if he wanted, district too). Im just trying to understand the rules regarding this if she WAS to be bred when he wanted to show her..

Or should I scrap this idea entirely and just look into buying him a early spring heifer next year?

Thoughts from those more experienced in this relm then I.

spinandslide":2jjdpi1i said:
I can seem to find this information on the web, so if anyone can help, Id appreciate it. :)

When a animal is classified as a heifer, is there an age limit(on the animal?) Can she not even be exposed to a bull or in calf? Is the term heifer used on the animal until she actually pops the little un out?

I ask, as I thought to use our now 6 month old calf next year for my son's heifer project(just county show really..and the local fair, mabey if he wanted, district too). Im just trying to understand the rules regarding this if she WAS to be bred when he wanted to show her..

Or should I scrap this idea entirely and just look into buying him a early spring heifer next year?

Thoughts from those more experienced in this relm then I.

There is never specific age limit. The term heifer is is used to define a female that has not CALVED YET. Even after she calves some may refer to her as a FIRST CALF HEIFER. If it was me i would just buy a fall born. then you would get a longer show career out of her.

For your county fair, call the fair office and request their rules. The rules vary from fair to fair. For example, our fair has a commercial cross bred heifer show. The heifer has to be a cross bred (no pure or registered animals). There is a halter heifer division and a pen of two division. The age of the heifers range from 12 to 27 months. This link will take to the rules.

http://www.fbcfa.org/documents/2008rule ... _RULES.pdf

If you want to show TCCA, that is whole 'nuther ball of wax and hopefully someone else can steer you the right direction for it. I can't help there.

Also, ask your 4-H Extension agent. He or she should be able to answer your questions.

thanks both Chippie and Snider..Sounds like my best bet would be buying a fall calf, as you said. Chippie, our fair has purebred classes and then commerical. Not sure about the county 4-h though..I imagine its the same. Friend's daughters showed heifers last year and Im pretty sure they were commericals. the county's 4-h program is small, which is what I like. The kids are all real supportive of each other and the events are never stressful.

the houston livestock show and rodeo classifies a heifer as a female bovine under three years of age and not been bred. although heifers that are show heifers vary from commercial heifers which are shown similar to a steer and pen heifers which is more a county thing where you usually take the two best heifers in your herd and bring them to the show for a couple days and take them back home and then the last which i forgot the name of but with this heifer you breed them and can show them for a maximum of two years i believe either with the calf or when she is impregnated and also before she gets impregnated. don't hold me to the last one but the other two are pretty accurate descriptions i believe if not let me know i am always ready to learn more

texasbrangusboy":2ngzsdqm said:
the houston livestock show and rodeo classifies a heifer as a female bovine under three years of age and not been bred. although heifers that are show heifers vary from commercial heifers which are shown similar to a steer and pen heifers which is more a county thing where you usually take the two best heifers in your herd and bring them to the show for a couple days and take them back home and then the last which i forgot the name of but with this heifer you breed them and can show them for a maximum of two years i believe either with the calf or when she is impregnated and also before she gets impregnated. don't hold me to the last one but the other two are pretty accurate descriptions i believe if not let me know i am always ready to learn more

Thanks TBB..:)

I think Ive decided to just buy him a heifer when he's ready versus trying to make the bottle calf work. I bought her to raise and breed first and foremost. She is the gentlest calf and leads super well, but I can accomplish that with another one too!

I think we'll look into some Beefmaster or Brangus heifer calves for him come next year.

Latest posts