Texans: FILE STORM INSURANCE CLAIMS B4 FRI

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven":2d6uftvb said:
TT. You are a great friend and Andrew is a noble Texan. I am 100 % for tort reform. ONLY, if it truly targets frivolous laws suits that benefit no one but the attorneys. After reading this one, it has the smell of a sweetheart deal for insurance companies. I downloaded the actual bill. Takes some thorough reading. I see good and bad in it.

I've not had the time to read the entire bill but anything that limits lawsuits works for me.

TennesseeTuxedo":jw4uqhyq said:
Bright Raven":jw4uqhyq said:
TT. You are a great friend and Andrew is a noble Texan. I am 100 % for tort reform. ONLY, if it truly targets frivolous laws suits that benefit no one but the attorneys. After reading this one, it has the smell of a sweetheart deal for insurance companies. I downloaded the actual bill. Takes some thorough reading. I see good and bad in it.

I've not had the time to read the entire bill but anything that limits lawsuits works for me.

I agree if it does not achieve that by being unfair to the consumer.

Bright Raven":78vt1yhu said:
TennesseeTuxedo":78vt1yhu said:
Bright Raven":78vt1yhu said:

Caveat emptor.

Head-scratching that a few of you think it's a grave disservice to let people know that there's a change in insurance law which takes effect Friday and (for claims for which notice is given from that point on) limits consumer protections, such as limits on the insured's ability to seek attorney's fees and interest if, e.g., their insurance company wrongly refuses to pay (or unduly delays paying) claims.
Yes, the timing is bad but that's the law. You can argue over who it protects, whether it was good/bad, but if I were in Texas; had storm-related damage; and was in a position to notify my carrier in writing before Friday, I would be doing so.

I would note that the Dallas paper is reporting that the "claims process" hasn't changed and that people don't need to file a claim by Friday or be precluded. That may be true but misses the point.

TennesseeTuxedo":1h7d63lf said:
Bright Raven":1h7d63lf said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1h7d63lf said:

Caveat emptor.

So someone in the mortgage business has never filed on anyone. Unlikely.
I've been self employed most of my adult life. I have employees and work on other people's property. I'm very in favor of anything that protects against frivolous lawsuits. Such as someone who steps in a hole and blames someone else.
This bill is not that. It protects insurance companys against weather related claims. A bill with the right idea but very poorly written.
I've never been sued, never sued anyone...
The one time I considered it. It was a utility company who cost me 3500.00 and admitted straight up it was their fault. But they were protected by tort.
You wanna insult me tux you go right ahead and try. You can't do it.

callmefence":3e7zsn3g said:
TennesseeTuxedo":3e7zsn3g said:
Bright Raven":3e7zsn3g said:

Caveat emptor.

So someone in the mortgage business has never filed on anyone. Unlikely.
I've been self employed most of my adult life. I have employees and work on other people's property. I'm very in favor of anything that protects against frivolous lawsuits. Such as someone who steps in a hole and blames someone else.
This bill is not that. It protects insurance companys against weather related claims. A bill with the right idea but very poorly written.
I've never been sued, never sued anyone...
The one time I considered it. It was a utility company who cost me 3500.00 and admitted straight up it was their fault. But they were protected by tort.
You wanna insult me tux you go right ahead and try. You can't do it.

You do okay all by yourself.

Here's the stark reality of the situation:

"Insurance experts say only a small fraction of homeowners in Harvey's path of destruction have flood insurance. That means families with flooded basements, soaked furniture and water-damaged walls will have to dig deep into their pockets or take on more debt to fix up their homes. Some may be forced to sell, if they can, and leave their communities."

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/ ... 9-05-11-10

TennesseeTuxedo":3p9sofpk said:

"Insurance experts say only a small fraction of homeowners in Harvey's path of destruction have flood insurance. That means families with flooded basements, soaked furniture and water-damaged walls will have to dig deep into their pockets or take on more debt to fix up their homes. Some may be forced to sell, if they can, and leave their communities."

Has nothing to do with the conversation.
So ....you ever sued anybody?

TennesseeTuxedo":aog3pz6k said:

Very few Texans have basements TT .
You are correct on flood insurance only being required by financial institutions if you were in the 100 year flood plain.
If you live in the coastal counties very foolish not to have it.
It's very cheap IMO

TennesseeTuxedo":3p8wl9b3 said:

True....I may be totally wrong but i was also under the impression that homeowners policies cover only "falling" water (rain) and not rising water. Someone else may have had some experience with this. I'm curious how much of Houston is actually in the 100 year flood plain which often requires insurance if there is mortgage on the house. I might be wrong on that too...it's been over 25 years since I've deal with this.

callmefence":2rkpl4fm said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2rkpl4fm said:

No I have not. Now troll somebody else.

TennesseeTuxedo":1jt14r6a said:
callmefence":1jt14r6a said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1jt14r6a said:

You guys are making a Mountain out of a Mole Hill!

TexasBred":92g9bs1i said:
TennesseeTuxedo":92g9bs1i said:

True....I may be totally wrong but i was also under the impression that homeowners policies cover only "falling" water (rain) and not rising water. Someone else may have had some experience with this. I'm curious how much of Houston is actually in the 100 year flood plain which often requires insurance if there is mortgage on the house. I might be wrong on that too...it's been over 25 years since I've deal with this.

Parts of Houston flood when there's a heavy dew. As far as how much is in the 100 year flood plain, I don't know either.

Bright Raven":3h3w348u said:
TennesseeTuxedo":3h3w348u said:
callmefence":3h3w348u said:

You guys are making a Mountain out of a Mole Hill!

Like you on the Lexington statues thread you mean?

Latest posts