Tex. A&M Beef Cattle Short Course

Help Support CattleToday:

bwalsh

Reaction score
Has anyone attended the Beef Cattle Short Course at Texas A&M? If so, what are your thoughts on the program? I am considering going this year. thanks.

bwalsh":2gomyf79 said:
Has anyone attended the Beef Cattle Short Course at Texas A&M? If so, what are your thoughts on the program? I am considering going this year. thanks.

i've attended & it's a really good program. there are several general sessions and then break-off sessions where you can pick and choose topics that interest you or fit your program. there are topics for beginners as well as experienced ranchers. there's also a good prime rib dinner the first night :D

here is a link to the website. on the top index choose "Calendar" & then scroll down to Aug 2-4 & click on "Beef Cattle Short Course"

http://animalscience.tamu.edu/ansc/index.htm

Yes indeed.. I've been to three in the past. I usually skip a year, as sometimes unless there's something new and exciting in the industry it's a lot of the same thing. But if you've never been, definately GO.

Last year one of the great vets from A & M ( I can't think of his name, but he's a HOOT! Has been giving programs for years..) gave a program on calving that was outstanding, and had everyone rolling in the aisles besides!

The prime rib dinner is also very good! I really enjoyed the break out sessions, because you can pick and choose your interests, and they are more informal. And the displays are good too! You'll meet a lot of ranching folks there, which is always fun as well.

The short course is great for first timers and industry folks who have never attended, have been in the past, going again this year, it can be redundant if you go every year if you graduated from the college of ag at A&M, but there are some new topics that come up, and this year I believe they are talking about the Nation ID system or plans for it, the pros and cons etc. so I am going

personally I think a microchip would be best, in the ear just like an implant

Also I think they will be covering using the chemical spay and neuter shot, whick sterilizes both heifers and steers with out the invasive procedures such as the surgical spay and castration

Also they have an awesome prime rib diner to end it all, and that is worth going for, and the trad show is great too, and it is during a hot time of year, if all your hay work is done and you can get away, it is great to meet a bunch of other cattle folks while getting to learne some new stuff.

Thanks for all of your responses. It sounds like a really good program so I signed up.

Michelle, yes the national ID system is a topic. I am afraid that I have not kept up with that issue in order to form an opinion on whether or not it is a good idea. So, that particular discussion should be interesting.

Latest posts