Teton Pass

Help Support CattleToday:

The article said Highway 22. I can't find a hwy 22 on my road atlas. We will be headed through that general part of the world in late July. Be nice to figure out where this is so I can avoid it.

The article said Highway 22. I can't find a hwy 22 on my road atlas. We will be headed through that general part of the world in late July. Be nice to figure out where this is so I can avoid it.
It's the highway between Jackson, WY and Driggs, ID. Can go to the south by Palisades
Reservoir from Rexburg-Idaho Falls to Alpine, WY south of Jackson.

It's the highway between Jackson, WY and Driggs, ID. Can go to the south by Palisades
Reservoir from Rexburg-Idaho Falls to Alpine, WY south of Jackson.
I found it. The number was sort of covered by the state line. I was planning on using the Rexburg to Alpine route. Then north of Jackson to hwy 26. No real destinations in Wyo. The wife wants to see Mt Rushmore and we have to cross Wyo to get there. Just taking back roads to see what we can see. I have been all over Wyo in the past. Wife not so much. Returning through Montana. Wife wants to go to Great Falls to the Charles Russell museum. I haven't picked that route yet. But avoiding the freeways.

I found it. The number was sort of covered by the state line. I was planning on using the Rexburg to Alpine route. Then north of Jackson to hwy 26. No real destinations in Wyo. The wife wants to see Mt Rushmore and we have to cross Wyo to get there. Just taking back roads to see what we can see. I have been all over Wyo in the past. Wife not so much. Returning through Montana. Wife wants to go to Great Falls to the Charles Russell museum. I haven't picked that route yet. But avoiding the freeways.
From Jackson maybe go over Togwotee Pass to Dubois where the new National Museum of Military Vehicles has recently opened https://www.nmmv.org/
Then hit Riverton and stop and visit @CowboyRam then north through Wind River Canyon, Thermopolis and take a swim in the hot springs, then north to Worland and Ten Sleep, over Powder River Pass and drop into Buffalo and you are two thirds of the way to the Black Hills. In Montana, I thought the Judith Gap area was pretty neat and that would be a good route to take from Black Hills to Great Falls.

If you don't mind some dirt roads, it is a scenic drive to go from Shoshoni to Lysite and Lost Cabin and take Badwater Road to the top of the mountain and then it becomes Nowood Road down to Ten Sleep. The Nowood River Valley is some great ranch scenery.

From Jackson maybe go over Togwotee Pass to Dubois where the new National Museum of Military Vehicles has recently opened https://www.nmmv.org/
Then hit Riverton and stop and visit @CowboyRam then north through Wind River Canyon, Thermopolis and take a swim in the hot springs, then north to Worland and Ten Sleep, over Powder River Pass and drop into Buffalo and you are two thirds of the way to the Black Hills. In Montana, I thought the Judith Gap area was pretty neat and that would be a good route to take from Black Hills to Great Falls.
That is basically my route across Wyo. Going to stop at the Medicine Wheel State Arch site north of Ten Sleep by Hyattville. I have been there a couple of times and want to show it to my wife. I will take hwy 12 at least part of the way across Montana. Not sure where I will get on and off it.

The Military Museum in Dubois is well worth seeing. They did an incredible job of putting that together.

Just as you get out of the Wind River Canyon there is a spot that they call the Wedding of the Waters; that is where the Wind River becomes the Big Horn river. Although to be honest there is not really anything to see other than a little bit of trivia.

If you drive out of Riverton towards Shoshoni you will pass right past the farm. You are welcome to stop by.

If you don't mind some dirt roads, it is a scenic drive to go from Shoshoni to Lysite and Lost Cabin and take Badwater Road to the top of the mountain and then it becomes Nowood Road down to Ten Sleep. The Nowood River Valley is some great ranch scenery.
LOL...I've taken some "dirt" roads in Colorado and Arkansas. Some parts of them could have used a lot more dirt.

As I said we are just passing through Wyo. We don't need to make an adventure out of it. Miles to travel and some time restraints. And I live on a dirt road so no need to go out of my way to experience that.

Okie dokie. Suggestion was to see a part of the state most people don't, not to experience more dirt roads.

I have always wanted to take a drive down the Nowood valley but not this trip. Going to Rushmore and then to Great Falls is going to be enough of a trip. Things the wife wants to see. I wouldn't mind wandering around the back roads of Wyo but that isn't on the wife's bucket list.

I think that stretch between Shoshoni and Casper is the most boring road to drive in Wyoming. The only thing to see is Hells half Acre, but just watch Starship Troopers and you can see it from the comfort of your recliner. I have heard that someone has donated a bunch of money to renovate it, but they must build trails going down to it.