tetnus

Help Support CattleToday:

trapper

Reaction score
Hello, I recently banded 85 calves about 2 weeks ago and noticed a few looked a little swollen above the band, I am thinking of giving a tetnus, but not sure if it would be tetnus or tetnus toxoid. and what is the difference in the two?

Antitoxin is antibodies to the toxin which can be injected for immediate short term protection or treatment. Toxoid is the modified bacteria (killed) to induce the animal to produce antibodies to the disease.

Clear as mud?
V

I also checked my bander instructions & it says " A TETANUS TOXOID INJECTION IS STRONGLY RECOMMENDED." I've been doing just that &
trust I've been getting the necessary protection. Immediate protection is not the issue as I would see it - the opening in the skin usually doesn't happen for at least a 10 days or so (with the larger ones that I'm doing at least).

I too use the tetnus toxoid with the 7 way. I think a little swelling is normal. I think if it seems to be bothering them...tail twitching, stomping, etc, maybe a shot of pennicilin would be in line. Is it too late for a tetnus shot? I always give it when I band.

if it is tetanus it is probably too late. i lost two big steers a few years back that someone else banded with a callibrate bander. my vet said to give two shots, one 2 weeks prior and another the day you band. i gave them a shot the day they were banded, but it was to late both died within 2 weeks. i will stick with the cheerio bander on mine.

i could be wrong... but the toxoid requires a booster 30 days later... without it, you may not be getting the protection you desire...

jt

Latest posts