Tetnus Doseage?

Help Support CattleToday:

rosti

Reaction score
On Saturday, we lost a calf to a very fast acting tetnus. It was totally normal and 2 hours later it was dead. The vet said she sees these cases VERY rarely but has seen 5 this year. The tetnus spores are much bigger/stronger after a warm dry winter such as we have had this year. Needless to say, all calves are getting tetnus shots from now on. But the problem is, I don't know how much to give them. I've searched for it and can't find any answers. So, how much? Does anyone know?

Did you read the back of the bottle? Essential 3+T is 2cc and then another 3 weeks later. You really should vac for tetanus at weaning, it will kill them just as easy as BVD, PI3, ect. but most people just let them slide by without.

I have "Clostridium Perfringens Types C & D Tetanus Toxoid" The vet said it came from either tagging or banding which we do on day one, so I figured we could give a tetanus shot on the same day.

I'm tired right now but I don't understand this sentence.
sim.-ang.king":2phrprxi said:
You really should vac for tetanus at weaning, it will kill them just as easy as BVD, PI3, ect. but most people just let them slide by without.

Eta- I just now noticed it does say 3+T on it. So 2ccs on day one is what I should do?

To establish immunity; use the toxoid. To treat a non-immunized animal that has a risk of tetanus due to cut or puncture,etc.; use the antitoxin.

I keep the toxoid on hand in individual dose vials by Colorado Serum. It requires 2 innoculations of 1 ml each. When I have an animal in the chute, I hit them with the toxoid on a pretty regular basis. The serum is cheap. About 2 dollars or less per innoculation. If you use the individual vials you avoid wasting unused serum. I start my calves on toxoid when I do the other Clostridial species which is at about 2 to 3 months of age. Tetanus is included in some of the clostridial serums such as the blackleg 8 ways etc. But be sure it says C. tetani is covered. Clostridial organisms can work fast. Seniors frequently get Clostridium difficile or C diff. It affects their digestive tract. It contributed significantly to the recent death of my father.

rosti":19yz3ss5 said:
I have "Clostridium Perfringens Types C & D Tetanus Toxoid" The vet said it came from either tagging or banding which we do on day one, so I figured we could give a tetanus shot on the same day.

I'm tired right now but I don't understand this sentence.
sim.-ang.king":19yz3ss5 said:
You really should vac for tetanus at weaning, it will kill them just as easy as BVD, PI3, ect. but most people just let them slide by without.

Eta- I just now noticed it does say 3+T on it. So 2ccs on day one is what I should do?
If your banding at weaning, or whenever you get them on the farm, they advise to give the first shot, then 3 weeks later give the booster, and band so they have some immunity before banding. But you can get by with giving the first shot, band, then give the booster later, but there is more risk (but for sure not as much as not giving at all).

rosti,
I have some doubts about this 'fast-acting tetanus' diagnosis. Typical duration of clinical disease in cattle/horses is 5-10 days.
'Normal' and dead 2 hours later doesn't sound like tetanus.

Have seen some real wrecks, with multiple animal deaths, where tetanus toxoid was given at the same time bands were applied. It's rolling the dice, hoping that the animal will be able to 'win the race' - mount an effective immune response before the spores germinate, grow, and begin producing enough toxin to kill the animals.

rosti":1gcn1fbn said:
On Saturday, we lost a calf to a very fast acting tetnus. It was totally normal and 2 hours later it was dead. The vet said she sees these cases VERY rarely but has seen 5 this year. The tetnus spores are much bigger/stronger after a warm dry winter such as we have had this year. Needless to say, all calves are getting tetnus shots from now on. But the problem is, I don't know how much to give them. I've searched for it and can't find any answers. So, how much? Does anyone know?

Most likely you lost the calf to Clostridium perfringens. My old partner had a problem with it in his herd and still does. He vaccinates all newborns calves with C&D Toxoid with Tetnus. http://www.thedairysite.com/articles/12 ... aby-calves

I have seen it take a 7week old beautiful calf in less than 2 hours. He was walking around OK when we went to set water and then load a load of hay to feed. When we came back about 90 minutes later he was tits up stone dead!

Lucky, maybe she was wrong but I don't think so. She is the most knowledgeable vet I have found.
What are the sypmtoms of Clostridium perfringens? Because this calf had short, hard breathing just lying in a heap. Vet said that is when the muscles of the lungs start tightening and enventually it can't breath anymore. She thought it was punemonia at first but she checked the temperature and it was low so that indicated tetanus.
Sorry for me terrible spelling. :roll:

rosti":1ji9g549 said:
Lucky, maybe she was wrong but I don't think so. She is the most knowledgeable vet I have found.
What are the sypmtoms of Clostridium perfringens? Because this calf had short, hard breathing just lying in a heap. Vet said that is when the muscles of the lungs start tightening and enventually it can't breath anymore. She thought it was punemonia at first but she checked the temperature and it was low so that indicated tetanus.
Sorry for me terrible spelling. :roll:

Follow the link. They explain it better than i can!

Latest posts