tetnus, age

Help Support CattleToday:

Dee

Reaction score
I have a 3 week old bottle calf I got from the neighbor. He is still a bull. I band at birth with no tetnus shot, and if I missed one, at weaning they get tetnus and banded. At what age do you draw the line that they need the tetnus shot? And does the fact that he is on milk replacer and not a mama cow play a part in it?

Well, I have put rings on animals from day one until about 6 months and never given a tetanus shot - do not even keep the drug on the premises - never had a problem to date.

I suppose you could put rings on calves that are older, but we usually cut them or pinch them over six months - still no problems. We avoid fly season where possible when cutting, but never worry about it when we are ringing or pinching.

Regards

Bez

I band mine around a month of age or less - easiest for me to accomplish the task on a calf that size. Sometimes means a little extra work catching them, but otherwise it's worked out well. I haven't given tetanus shots before and no problems yet...but there's a first time for everything.