Tetanus

Help Support CattleToday:

I believe I do. The same one I wrote about the black scours, I have watched her today and she trys to eat and acts as if she cannot open her mouth. I even took sweet feed to her and she would not eat it. Just lies around. She had foot rot about 4 weeks ago and we treated her with LA200 and I poured iodine on her foot. It seems to be healed.
Kate

We've never had any livestock with tetanus, and I can't remember my Daddy ever talking about having to treat it, but he may have. Sooooo, I decided to google it 'cause I got curious about it. I do remember one thing about tetanus that scared the honk outta me. When I was little, my Daddy got a pretty nasty cut on something rusty. He came in the house to clean up the wound and the lady that took care of us asked him if he'd had a tetanus shot. He told her "Nah! Don't need one." She cleaned his clock! She asked him if he'd ever seen anyone die with lockjaw. When he told her no, she said, "Well, I have...my 10 year old son died of lockjaw!" She shamed him like I've never seen anyone shamed. He left immediately for the hospital...and after that, my brother and sister and I got tetanus shots whether we needed 'em or not...but I digress. Here is the link to tetanus in cattle...sounds like the prognosis is really grim.

http://www.thecattlesite.com/diseaseinf ... -in-cattle

In theory, if they're treated soon enough with antitoxin, muscle relaxant, and antibiotics, a small percentage of animals can be saved. In practice... I haven't heard of it.

That said, animals with tetanus display different symptoms than what you've described. The "saw-horse" stance, animals cannot move or movement is stiff, muscles are rigid, third eyelid is seen, etc. Hard to say without seeing her, but I'm pretty confident you have something totally different going on, and, I'll be very blunt and tell you that you really need to get off the computer and have a consultation with your vet.

As far as I remember, the winter we lost a few cows to hemmorage of the intestine (which results in black -bloody- manure), I believe we determined part of the problem was related to the hay or grain they were given. Find out what exactly's going on with this cow or you may lose others to the same thing.

Latest posts