tetanus vaccine

Help Support CattleToday:

jt

Reaction score
is the tet vac in the 8 way blackleg shots as effective as the individual vaccines for tetanus? i have always used the concentrate that you boost in 30 days for a long term coverage. just wondering if they are equal because that in the 8 way is so much cheaper to buy.

a 10 dose vial of straight tet vac in about $13-14. that found in the 8 way is 50 doses of everything for about $27.

thanks

jt

jt, I would think if used as directed that it would be just as effective. All we have to go on is what the label says . I do know people that are using it and getting along fine and like you say it is much cheaper . If I were going to band a bull with it I would get 2 rounds in him . Not many hard facts but, I hope it helps .

Larry

jt":t1dl8owp said:
is the tet vac in the 8 way blackleg shots as effective as the individual vaccines for tetanus?
jt

Yes, it is just combined with other vaccines. Just make sure to give the recommended dosage the recommended number of times, and you're good to go. Now, having said that, be aware that if your 8 way blackleg vaccine is a MLV you need to talk to your vet prior to vaccinating pregnant cows if this is the first time you are using it. MLV vaccines carry an abortion risk, but I don't remember all the in's and out's of that risk - too long since we had cattle, sorry. :oops:

thanks. i figured it would be the same, but since it was so much cheaper i didnt know. and yes i always give the booster. i band when i give the booster. mss, i thought about the mlv, and i am not sure, but i wouldnt think any blackleg shots would be mlv since they are given to calves. i could be wrong, but that would require that the calf be weaned prior to being able to give the shot. anyway, thanks, and i will check that out for sure.

jt

Latest posts