Tetanus shots

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Speaking of tetanus shots for cattle... I recently went to the doctor, asking for a tetanus shot. I had gotten drug into a barbed wire fence by a new mom, and decided that it had been many years and moons since having one. The DR was reluctant to give me one, saying that there is a tetanus shot shortage across the United States. When I explained why I wanted one, he said, "Oh! you are a farmer. I will give tetanus shots to farmers, but no longer are we giving tetanus just because someone asks for it." Have you heard anything like that?

[email protected]

This does not have much 2 do with what you are talking about but our vet that cattle never get tetanus.

> Speaking of tetanus shots for
> cattle... I recently went to the
> doctor, asking for a tetanus shot.
> I had gotten drug into a barbed
> wire fence by a new mom, and
> decided that it had been many
> years and moons since having one.
> The DR was reluctant to give me
> one, saying that there is a
> tetanus shot shortage across the
> United States. When I explained
> why I wanted one, he said,
> "Oh! you are a farmer. I will
> give tetanus shots to farmers, but
> no longer are we giving tetanus
> just because someone asks for
> it." Have you heard anything
> like that?

I had been reading on the list something about giving bulls a tetanus shot, and thought it strange that it was a bovine practice, but something different was going on with humans... in a way, your response was exactly in keeping with what this line was about. Thanks for your input.

[email protected]

Cattle can die from tetanus. It is cheap and easy to prevent. I use covexin-8 which includes Clostridium tetani protection. I highly recommend it--and yes, I've seen cattle die from it (not pleasant!!)

There has been a shortage of tetanus vaccine for humans across the country the past year or so. Unless you are at high risk (farmer, etc.) or have a recent injury, you may not be given a tetanus vaccination at this time. I read somewhere this shortage should be resolved this year.

i had a cow sick last year... and in trying to figure out what was wrong.. i talked to my vet about it, asking him if he thought it to be tetanus... he told me he had never seen tetanus in a cow.. only in calves.. i dont know, but wondered if it was one of those things they outgrew with age...

gene.

This does not have much 2 do with
> what you are talking about but our
> vet that cattle never get tetanus.

[email protected]

Latest posts