tetanus shots and banding

Help Support CattleToday:

cattlepower

Reaction score
how many band and give a tetanus and how many band and don't give one? Just curious. We band and don't give a tetanus--just band and let em go.

We give two tetanus shots 30 days apart, wait 2 weeks after the second one then band. Lots of trips through the chute but with the small numbers we have it isn't that bad. Better safe than sorry.

Farmgirl

We quit knocking the nuts off them about 5-6 years ago.

Send them to market as a complete animal around 700 pounds.

There has not been one penny of additional cash for any work we used to do and we have never been knocked for not doing the extras.

We leave them with horns on, nuts in and colostrum as the only drug in them.

Round them all up and send them down the road straight off the cow.

Never had a problem. Argued for two years with the wife - let her win and lo and behold - our income has gone up and our expense gone down.

Huge labour savings as well.

Sure has taken a load of work and a pile of expense money out of the equation.

If I am not going to get anything for my extra efforts, I am darned if I am going to do the work.

So far the buyers seem to keep coming.

Cheers

Bez

I only cut the bulls that are going to be in the herd beyond breading age. I give them a tetnus shot. I buy the individual vials

We give Covexin 8 or Cavalry 9 ASAP. Then a booster when we knife cut and implant. Tetanus and Blackleg is a very cheap vaccine, and I feel it carries over to the calf from it's mother. Blackleg and Tetanus is nothing to mess with.

Where do you get the individual vials?
All the places that sell the regular vacs can get the little individual tetanus if it's in stock.

With our weaned calves we though we were going to have to use the individual tetanus and individual blackleg since we couldn't find cov 8. That makes for a lot of extra pokes and individual loadings.

I think this is the right one at Valley Vet. You can get a 10 dos vial or 10, 1 dose vials. Our feed store will sell you the individual 1 dose vials if you only need like 1 or 3 or some thing.

All the places that sell the regular vacs can get the little individual tetanus if it's in stock.

With our weaned calves we though we were going to have to use the individual tetanus and individual blackleg since we couldn't find cov 8. That makes for a lot of extra pokes and individual loadings.

I think this is the right one at Valley Vet. You can get a 10 dos vial or 10, 1 dose vials. Our feed store will sell you the individual 1 dose vials if you only need like 1 or 3 or some thing.

That is the tetanus vaccine I used this year. Could not find Cavalry 9 or Covexin 8. Had to go with Ultrabac 8, which does not contain tetanus. I wonder what's going on with Cavalry and Covexin?

Latest posts