Tetanus question?

Help Support CattleToday:

TLM1988

Reaction score
I'm sure there's a thread on here about this issue but i like posting to start new! I recently banded some 5 weights. They were given covexin 8 then given the second round 21 days later.. timeframe between 2nd shot and banding was roughly 3-31/2 weeks. One of the boys was pretty well endowed compared to the others.. being said it's 2 days after and he still moving slower than the rest. He's doing a lot of stretching out and laying down/back up frequently. He has a stiff walk which sparked my thoughts of it could be tetanus. I've always knife cut and sent em on to grow. Never banded this many at once. So any thoughts/advice would be appreciated. If I need to calm down you can tell me that to lol!!! Thanks in advance

We band and the bigger boys always seem to take a little longer to get over it. I make sure they get up & move around so I can get a good look, but also because they need to keep their circulation moving. I pour a little Banamine Transdermal on the ones that aren't moving around as much.

Yours is probably fine but keep an eye on him, make sure he's nursing, take his temp if you're still concerned.

Is tetanus a concern this early? Or should those symptoms come when the sack falls off?

Is tetanus a concern this early? Or should those symptoms come when the sack falls off?
You are going to have to have an open wound or breaks in the skin for Tetanus. I banded a big one a couple of months ago and he walked stiffly for a couple of weeks.

Edit: I don't think a dose of anti-toxin would hurt him, but I will defer to the vets on here to say yay or nay on that.

By the time the sac falls off, he won't even realize it. A clean environment is your best defense and you've already vaccinated with the first dose. Bigger boys take longer for the sac to fall, and I'll see if I can find a thread from last year about it. I know staggers and a locked jaw are signs of tetanus, but sore nuts are just that: sore for a couple days.

Found it! Lots of good info and some pics. And just as a follow up, I'm now all about the Tri bander unless it's a small calf.

The latest info from my vet is 3 weeks before and at the time of banding. If I am banding within a few days of calving I don't worry about. If I am banding over that I give tetanus shots. It used to be we just hit them with once at banding and I never had a problem. I not a vet, take it for what it is.

The latest info from my vet is 3 weeks before and at the time of banding. If I am banding within a few days of calving I don't worry about. If I am banding over that I give tetanus shots. It used to be we just hit them with once at banding and I never had a problem. I not a vet, take it for what it is.
You don't get the full protection until a couple of weeks after the second dose. But, that would require 3 trips through the chute. Most I know band/cut a the same time of the second dose and I have never heard of a problem.

You should be well protected with that. Symptoms of tetanus include 3rd eyelid drawn across the eye, ears pinned back a bit, tail and tailhead standing out and very stilted gait. Bright lights and noises will make them react and go stiffer.

Ken

thanks for the responses! I'll give him a few more days. His appetite hasn't changed he's just slow about getting to the bunk. This is a first for me so when one looks funky I tend to want some answers! Thanks again !!!

If they have gotten too big for the little green cheerio bands, we cut them. ALL research says banding is much less stressful on them AS NEWBORNS. Bigger calves is much less stress to CUT them out. The stress follows them clear into the feedlot performance - according to research.
Can't put my fingers on the research, but here is a quote:
"Another study on bull calves using all three methods at age seven weeks old, found castration by banding caused more pain both immediately after castration and for up to 7 weeks afterwards when compared to cutting or clamping."

If they have gotten too big for the little green cheerio bands, we cut them. ALL research says banding is much less stressful on them AS NEWBORNS. Bigger calves is much less stress to CUT them out. The stress follows them clear into the feedlot performance - according to research.
Can't put my fingers on the research, but here is a quote:
"Another study on bull calves using all three methods at age seven weeks old, found castration by banding caused more pain both immediately after castration and for up to 7 weeks afterwards when compared to cutting or clamping."
it would be nice if you could find that citation, because I was positive banding would be worse but all the info I could find was there was no difference at all. I still prefer to cut, but the guy that helps out here prefers banding. I too have not noticed any difference in recovery times, though our records aren't very precise.

it would be nice if you could find that citation, because I was positive banding would be worse but all the info I could find was there was no difference at all. I still prefer to cut, but the guy that helps out here prefers banding. I too have not noticed any difference in recovery times, though our records aren't very precise.
I have seen some of the same studies she mentions and they measure a chemical or something that shows the stress. In knife cut it lasts 2-3 days and with a band it lasts for up to a few weeks.

Latest posts