Tetanus & Castration

Help Support CattleToday:

SBeare

Reaction score
Hello:
I am new to cattle - got first 15 breeder cows about 6 months ago. Just had first 7 calves (4 bull, 3 heifer) over last 2 months. Castrated the bull calves about 3 weeks ago (about 1- 2 months of age). Just found one calf this morning stiff legged, head thrown back, lying on side in field. Suspect tetanus - gave penicillin shot and will continue if calf lives. My question - should I give any injections when castrating the calves to prevent this (I read something about a anti-toxin)? ANything else I can do to ensure the other calves do not succumb to the same fate? Thanks for any advice!
SBeare

It might be a good idea to vaccinate the calves against tetanus before you castrate them. Make sure you are doing the whole process properly and cleanly, keep any wounds clean if you can and keep their area clean. Good luck.

did you knife cut or band? i lost two a couple of years ago from banding at 500 lbs, we gave them one shot for tetanus. the vet told me tetanus is like blackleg it can be in the ground, it is a horrible thing to see.
i band calves when they are a couple days old, easier on me and easier on them, just count to two and release and count to two again.

I give shot of tetanus toxoid when I band my bulls. haven't had any problems.

SBeare":1mrbrjx9 said:
Hello:
I am new to cattle - got first 15 breeder cows about 6 months ago. Just had first 7 calves (4 bull, 3 heifer) over last 2 months. Castrated the bull calves about 3 weeks ago (about 1- 2 months of age). Just found one calf this morning stiff legged, head thrown back, lying on side in field. Suspect tetanus - gave penicillin shot and will continue if calf lives. My question - should I give any injections when castrating the calves to prevent this (I read something about a anti-toxin)? ANything else I can do to ensure the other calves do not succumb to the same fate? Thanks for any advice!
SBeare

Where are you located? Did you band these or cut? I recall being told by a bander that you need to give them TWO tetanus shots for them to be effective.

I think cutting them cleanly in early summer then putting them out on CLEAN pasture with mama licking them clean and a good fly control program has a lower probability of infection, at least in the north. Cutting incision heals up faster than weeks with a band on a several month old steer, from what I have seen in my limited experience. Pasture right after cutting should not have a manure filled loafing area - confine them to clean grass with an electric wire for at least a few days or a week.

Once again a new poster asking for information with absolutely no reference to even a general area or state where they are located!

SBeare":387it41e said:
Hello:
SBeare

Tetanus anti-toxin gives immediate, short term protection against tetanus - approximately 10 days to 2 weeks, but it will negate any tetanus toxoid vaccinations already given. For long term protection you need to give 2 injections of tetanus toxoid, followed by a yearly booster. If you knife castrate, the first dose of tetanus toxoid needs to be given 10 days to 2 weeks prior to castrating in order for it to protect against tetanus. If you band, the tetanus toxoid can be given at the same time followed by another dose 2-4 weeks later, depending on the recommendations of the vaccine it is incorporated in. Tetanus lives in the soil, so I would suggest you incorporate the vaccine in your health program since you've had problems with tetanus.

Latest posts