Testing of semen tank

Help Support CattleToday:

wade

Reaction score
A friend of mine gave me a semen tank that he use to use. It is 20 yrs old but looks in great shape. Had it filled and 24 hours later there is absolutely no sign of any liguid nitrogen in it. I did not check it after the semen guy filled it, nor did I pick the tank up. I watched him take the hose out of it, put the stopper in and he set it in the shed. Is there anyway to check these things for a hole. If it was full there has to be a big problem with it to go dry in 24 hours.

Semen tanks have a vacuum between the inner and outer shell.
Could be a hole or could be the plug. Check with your local semen rep. they should know of a place to send it to get checked out and possibly fixed. If it is just the plug it shouldn't be too bad to fix.

If it was filled to the top and the plug put back in, there are major problems if it went dry in a day. I wouldn't bother with it, toss it over the hill and get a new one that comes with a guarentee. I have way too much $$ invested in semen to take chances with a 2nd hand tank.

I can be in and out of my tank 5 times a day, set the thing in a draft with out the plug in it and it still lasts the better part of 2 months with some to spare.

If my tank goes dry my genex rep will replace what I have inventoried if it is a genex bull. I'm out of luck with the rest of the stuff.

certherfbeef":3f3vi71t said:
If it was filled to the top and the plug put back in, there are major problems if it went dry in a day. I wouldn't bother with it, toss it over the hill and get a new one that comes with a guarentee. I have way too much $$ invested in semen to take chances with a 2nd hand tank.

I can be in and out of my tank 5 times a day, set the thing in a draft with out the plug in it and it still lasts the better part of 2 months with some to spare.

If my tank goes dry my genex rep will replace what I have inventoried if it is a genex bull. I'm out of luck with the rest of the stuff.

I meant the vacuum plug not the foam plug that you open the tank with. If the vacuum plug fails the tank has no insulation and will not hold, but can be fixed.