testing hay

Help Support CattleToday:

nocows

Reaction score
I've been looking into testing some round bales of hay to see what the quality was, I originally looked into this back in the summer when the hay was bailed. I swore everything I read at the time said wait until it's time to feed the bales then send off for a test to get more accurate results.

Well I've started putting bales out and thought well I might as well send a sample off, I went to the labs website and found the following information below.

****Sampling Procedures******
To obtain a sample, we suggest the following guidelines:

Take samples at or during hay harvest or delivery. Once hay is stacked inside a barn, it is difficult to obtain a representative sample. For small rectangular bales, set aside three or four bales from each load. These bales can then be grouped and sampled by lot at a later time. Large bales can be sampled in the field prior to removal.

I over think alot of things..... Are they just suggesting to sample while putting the hay up because its easier and you can get a better sample?

Also I called our local extension office and they don't have a hay sampling probe.. any other suggestions? I can grab some from the bales as I put them out but would like to walk down each row of bales and get some core samples.

I think they are only saying that if they are all stacked in the barn you may not sample a big enough cross section of bales to get an accurate representation of your feed.
I don't think it would be terribly hard to make a probe if a person put their mind to it. It's really just a tube with a slightly smaller end on it. Maybe sharpen it and take a hack saw and put some serrations on it.

I always have sampled mine after they have been put up. Just try to pick bales from different parts of the field.
As Silver said, you can make a probe if you like to tinker with stuff like that or buy you a nice one and be done with it. A good one will last you a lifetime. I like and use this one.

https://dairyone.com/shop/penn-state-hay-probe-w-drill-adapter/

Easy to use. One warning is that drilling into a tight roll will build up a lot of friction and the tube will get pretty warm. You will also need a good strong drill.

I have always taken samples before feeding or at least after the hay has gone through it's heat cycles. Hay quality will always change between the baling date and feeding date unless it is fed the same day as baling. As the hay cures, crude protein changes depending on how hot it gets. hay will also sweat as it goes through the heat cycles which changes the percent moisture; which changes your "As fed dry matter nutrients." The way hay is baled (lg round, big sqr, or sm sqr) also factors into how much hay changes during storage. If you want to experiment a little, send a sample of a small square bale in for testing, let it set out through a few rain storms and resend in a sample to compare. I would also take a sample before delivery so you know what you are buying. after delivery, it is harder to send back.

Core samples are the most accurate, but no need to over think it. Become a student of BCS and poop.

snoopdog said:
Core samples are the most accurate, but no need to over think it. Become a student of BCS and poop.
Very wise advice. More people need to have "the eye of the master". Manure tells you a lot about the feed and cows health. But, sooo many owners cannot look at their cattle and SEE how thin they are.
You never want to ask me what I think of "your" cattle, if you don't want an honest answer. I have told many people they need to deworm and feed more. Cattle were in poor condition. Even "show cattle". "Barn blind"

Ok, so I'l do my best to explain. Sit me down and put in front of me a salad made with spinach, romaine lettuce, avocado, shredded carrots, sunflower seeds, with an organic sesame seed and humanely raise virgin olive oil dressing. Next to that put a bag of chips. I'll probably go with the chips. (ketchup chips please, I'm Canadian)

Grosses me out now, but back in the day my go to, was Ruffles and potted meat, as a cure for the munchies.

Bum Steer said:
Ok, so I'l do my best to explain. Sit me down and put in front of me a salad made with spinach, romaine lettuce, avocado, shredded carrots, sunflower seeds, with an organic sesame seed and humanely raise virgin olive oil dressing. Next to that put a bag of chips. I'll probably go with the chips. (ketchup chips please, I'm Canadian)

You have a choice....cattle don't other than "take it or leave it".