Tested Breeding Bull - sale results

Help Support CattleToday:

Son of Butch

Reaction score
Semen tested registered bull sale results from the Bull Bonanza sale in Minnesota today.

registered yearling bulls of decent size and quality brought 1450 - 2500
The top 7 bulls were all angus and sold for $1850 - 2000 - 2125 - 2175 - 2185 - 2300 and $2500

Top Black Angus $2500
Top Red Angus $1850
Top Hereford $1825
Top Simmental $1475

A lot of papered bulls 1150 lbs - 1345 lbs sold mostly for $1225 - $1425 or 1.03 - 1.10 lb

1 black 1250 lb yearling bull (no papers) tested Excellent for semen quality and sold for just $1150 or 92 cents lb

20 semen tested bulls 2 yrs and older sold and 16 of them sold to slaughter buyers for .89 - 98 cents
That really sux for the seller... having to pay for testing and then getting slaughter price

A few of those 16 'tested' slaughter bulls were pretty decent... so I'd guess not enough demand
bcs it seems the sellers thought enough of them to pay the added testing costs only to end up getting slaughter price

If registered yearlings were 1450 - 2500 I paid way too much. I'm gonna play devils advocate and go with too much supply. Most everyone around here bought their bulls months ago in order to turn them out for spring calving. "Spring" being any time from end of Jan to 1st of May. But what a kick in the a$$ for the sellers of evidently some pretty nice bulls.

TCRanch":1no9qi89 said:
Most everyone around here bought their bulls months ago in order to turn them out for spring calving.
"Spring" being any time from end of Jan to 1st of May.
Yes and this is the last breeding bull auction (that I know of) for the season.
So the demand wasn't there because as you pointed out most everyone has already purchased what they needed.
Plus for the most part these would be the 'leftovers' that didn't get sold privately for whatever reason.
A couple older 'herd' bulls sold for slaughter as many buyers are only interested in 'virgin' yearlings.

There's to many so called breeders selling bulls, the supply has over grown the demand. What I can't understand is there's people that are still using junk bulls that have no history. Good quality tested bulls are available cheap, and now is the time to buy. IMO

I have been looking for a new herd bull. Either a Hereford or Angus. Prices here or 2000$ for average up to around 3500$ for a really nice one.

Not surprising. Late in the buying season and lots of options. Used to be only a handful of us that raised bulls, now lots think it is easy money. Some do ok for a few years before they get burnt - some quit after one year after getting stuck with majority of the pen. Its a small margin of return in the bull biz and no shortage of people willing to cut your throat.