Test for Curley Calf Snydrome

Help Support CattleToday:

3waycross

Reaction score
I hope ya'll will forgive me if this has already been discussed here since I own no Blk Angus and didn't follow that thread very well but, is there a test that can be done to determine if an animal is a carrier for that disease. If so where and how can it be done. The AAA has told a friend of mine that it is not possible to test for it.

Well, it's like testing for PHA and TH, from what I've heard. Like say, they can be clean of CCS by pedigree. However, I believe there is a DNA test (I think?) that is accurate enough to be used to test cattle. Where can you get it and how? I don't know. As I have some bull calves to sell, I may get them tested if a buyer requests. However, they should be completely clean by pedigree, therefore I wouldn't get them tested unless the buyer asked.

3waycross":10ken6xa said:
I hope ya'll will forgive me if this has already been discussed here since I own no Blk Angus and didn't follow that thread very well but, is there a test that can be done to determine if an animal is a carrier for that disease. If so where and how can it be done. The AAA has told a friend of mine that it is not possible to test for it.

I'm sure your friend misunderstood. There is a test. Many of the AI bulls have been tested (preliminary test) and the results are available at the Angus site. Here's the link:

http://www.angus.org/NAAB_release.pdf

Here's a link to the page with info on CCS: http://www.angus.org/ccs_info.html

The test hasn't been released yet for the general public, but will be soon.

Lorenzo":2wr62u83 said:
Is a private company working on that ???
Who ??

Thanks
L

Dr. Beever of the University of Illinois is working on the test for the American Angus Association. He has a preliminary test, but isn't ready to release it to the public yet. To do a paternity test on Angus, you contact the AAA, they send a kit, you collect blood from the animal, send the kit to a specific lab. They send the results to the AAA, who then notifies you about the results. I expect the Curley Calf test will work much the same. There are several labs that do paternity tests and will probably do Curley Calf tests, but probably the only official results will be those done by the AAA-approved labs. We should find out in the next few weeks exactly how they plan to set it up.

Went to a bull sale today, from the sale sheet:

"Several sale bulls who were potential carriers have already been tested and determined to be non-carriers of this gene."

Don't know the particulars.

Big operations having sales now are getting their testing done ahead of "commercially available" testing.

Testing is available but only to certain sources. All of the major bull studs have tested their ai sires. There is a list available throught the AAA on what bulls are carriers. The best way to go about this is that if you have any cattle with the genetics of the carrier bulls then they have a possibility of being a carrier. If your cattle do not have these genetics there is nothing to worry about. I have been told that there will be a test released to the public around the first of the year and will work basically as described above. I have also heard that pricing could be around $50/ head or greater, but that could be just talk. A few of the more important bulls that are carriers are future direction ( and his clones), as well as the Accelerated Genetics bull 2V1.

cleland":1n83rq9d said:
Testing is available but only to certain sources. All of the major bull studs have tested their ai sires. There is a list available throught the AAA on what bulls are carriers. The best way to go about this is that if you have any cattle with the genetics of the carrier bulls then they have a possibility of being a carrier. If your cattle do not have these genetics there is nothing to worry about. I have been told that there will be a test released to the public around the first of the year and will work basically as described above. I have also heard that pricing could be around $50/ head or greater, but that could be just talk. A few of the more important bulls that are carriers are future direction ( and his clones), as well as the Accelerated Genetics bull 2V1.

Was future direction cloned?

alexfarms":1ooytejj said:
Was future direction cloned?

I can't remember where I saw it though anybody with a couple of hours on their hands might want to try the last 18 issues of the ANgus Journal; but I distinctly remember seeing something (probably a Genex ad) about a Future Direction clone selling semen. I might be wrong; but given his popularity I can't think of any reason not to clone him......until this whole curly calf syndrome thing came up of course.

I know one clone was a bull called Replica. Like FD, he turned out to be a carrier. His carcass numbers were not like FD.
Are they testing the next wave of AI bulls as we speak? I have a strong suspicions that some big name cows are carriers like 2536, 558H, 810.

Cormac":24jig4vp said:
I know one clone was a bull called Replica. Like FD, he turned out to be a carrier. His carcass numbers were not like FD.
Are they testing the next wave of AI bulls as we speak? I have a strong suspicions that some big name cows are carriers like 2536, 558H, 810.

We won't necessarily lose those genetics. They can still breed/flush those cows, but must test each calf before it can be registered.

I believe that genex had two clones of future direction. Not sure on the names of them though to be honest. As far as testing AI sires ABS has tested every bull that they have access to semen on. Starting in the spring I would imagine that semen on the carrier bulls will be hard if not impossible to get. As stated before all calves will have to be tested before being registered. These genetics on these bulls are good but with as many good bulls that are available in the angus breed why use the bulls when you would have a 50/50 chance with them. This is the reason that this problem has come about not using diverse enough genetics. To me there there are too many out these to risk it.

I just received notification from Pfizer-Bovigen that they are now accepting samples for testing for CCS/AM. I have three generations from Future Direction. I think I will do one at a time starting with the youngest. If it tests positive, I won't test any further back. I could also do the opposite and test the oldest. Or I could tesy the middle generation. Not quite sure what to do.

blacksnake":3praajji said:
I just received notification from Pfizer-Bovigen that they are now accepting samples for testing for CCS/AM. I have three generations from Future Direction. I think I will do one at a time starting with the youngest. If it tests positive, I won't test any further back. I could also do the opposite and test the oldest. Or I could tesy the middle generation. Not quite sure what to do.

Just went to the website and didn't see anything re: a commercial test. Where'd you get the info?

Yep, and they also don't have a price, they will just bill you later! NOT!!!! :roll:

Latest posts