Test for Curley Calf Snydrome

Help Support CattleToday:

I got the info in an E-mail from Bovigen. They didn't have the test ready but should have soon. Also got the same info from AAA.

When we tested for TH, we tested older possible carriers first and then their offspring, if the prior generation was a carrier. Even though some of our cattle are clean by pedigree, buyers sometimes ask for them to be tested; so we do.
We test all bull calves for TH, even those that are pedigree free.

Pfizer has a price now, $29 a head, and they give you a $10 credit towards the Genestar test. Not bad at all. :D

I don't know who they are - but Three Trees should got hit - ouch!
Edit - I just went back & counted - about 75 bulls & over 400 females !!!
What an unexpected expense even if they gave him a super discount.
Wonder how many were NEGATIVE???
Feel sorrry for him - could be a lifetime breeding program.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":j9hvppvk said:
I don't know who they are - but Three Trees should got hit - ouch!
Edit - I just went back & counted - about 75 bulls & over 400 females !!!
What an unexpected expense even if they gave him a super discount.
Wonder how many were NEGATIVE???
Feel sorrry for him - could be a lifetime breeding program.

Here is the list of the ones that are AMF. http://www.angus.org/pubs/defects_anm_l ... 524C&q2=33

I have a friend that just canceled there Feb sale. There AI bull is a carrier. They figure if 1 ET cow they have is a carrier, then they need too look at 100 more of her offspring. OUCH.

Not sure about Three Trees but I have it on good authority that both Gardiners and Wehrmanns got all their cattle tested FOR FREE!!! as they were considered 'test herds', how does that make everyone who is forking out hard cash to clean this mess up feel? So the genetics produced in those herds that have been spreading this defect across the breed get off FOC in the name of research? :eek:

robert":2211alcx said:
Not sure about Three Trees but I have it on good authority that both Gardiners and Wehrmanns got all their cattle tested FOR FREE!!! as they were considered 'test herds', how does that make everyone who is forking out hard cash to clean this mess up feel? So the genetics produced in those herds that have been spreading this defect across the breed get off FOC in the name of research? :eek:

Well, pardon me for being sensible, but wouldn't the two herds that CCS has been traced back to be the logical place to start researching the problem? Where else would you suggest they start testing/researching the problem? And should those two herds pay for research of a problem that affects every Angus breeder?

On top of that, your previous posts have shown you don't worry much about facts, so pushing this rumor gets a yawn from me. :roll:

I guess my questions are…How did this get out of hand so quickly? Did these larger cattle operations (who were extensively using and promoting these genetics) not have problems before now? Did they not have noticeable amounts of losses? How quickly did they report these problems? I myself owned a son of 1680. In his first calf crop I lost 7 calves of his 15 calves. He has been culled and his remaining offspring will be tested and dealt with accordingly. I am not asking for anyone to pay for the testing of my potential carriers. (I chose to use these genetics.) All I am asking is that everyone be responsible breeders so, we may avoid situations like this in the future…And maybe everything was reported in a timely manner and this was an unavoidable situation. We as a breed must pick up the pieces and continue to strive for a better end product.

angusbreederms":2vo8fhzr said:
I guess my questions are…How did this get out of hand so quickly? Did these larger cattle operations (who were extensively using and promoting these genetics) not have problems before now? Did they not have noticeable amounts of losses? How quickly did they report these problems? I myself owned a son of 1680. In his first calf crop I lost 7 calves of his 15 calves. He has been culled and his remaining offspring will be tested and dealt with accordingly. I am not asking for anyone to pay for the testing of my potential carriers. (I chose to use these genetics.) All I am asking is that everyone be responsible breeders so, we may avoid situations like this in the future…And maybe everything was reported in a timely manner and this was an unavoidable situation. We as a breed must pick up the pieces and continue to strive for a better end product.

It's probably been a problem a lot longer than most of us realize. But it has taken a long time to actually identify AM as a genetic defect. Years ago we had a problem with Blue Tongue. Several cows we bought delivered twisted, dead or almost dead calves. We found the problem and, of course, once a cow has Blue Tongue, she's immune to it so she's not going to have another calf like that. But under range conditions, many dead AM calves were probably dismissed as part of the cost of being in the cattle business. Plus, the breed association is not in a position to point fingers at a breeder, his program, or his animals without his permission or a valid test. Unlike those of us on discussion boards, even if the AAA thought 1680 was a problem, until either Gardiners allowed them to report that or a test was available, they couldn't actually do anything.

You had a terrible situation. :( But I like your attitude. :) We'll get through it. Some people are going to take big hits in their pocketbook, but I think the Association is being as fair to us all as possible.

Frankie":2is5fnsg said:
Well, pardon me for being sensible, but wouldn't the two herds that CCS has been traced back to be the logical place to start researching the problem? Where else would you suggest they start testing/researching the problem? And should those two herds pay for research of a problem that affects every Angus breeder?

On top of that, your previous posts have shown you don't worry much about facts, so pushing this rumor gets a yawn from me. :roll:

The research had already been done, the gene marker(s) identified and the test developed.

Every other breeder who has cattle identified by pedigree has to pay for their own testing, why should GAR and Wehrmann be exempt?

You can try shooting the messenger, you won't be the first to try that trick, but the facts will emerge and the origin and history of this defect, and perhaps several more, will come to see the bright light of truth and I'll hazard a guess that there will be some pretty annoyed folks out there.

Honestly I believe they should be responsible for paying for the testing just like anyone else. If you could prove that Gardiner knew about this defect a long time ago and did nothing to prevent the spread of it, I would think you might have a case to make them liable for all testing. Stranger things have happened in the courts. It would be similar to an a company selling a product they knew was defective but continued to sell it anyway.

Latest posts