terramycin tablets.

Help Support CattleToday:

hersh

Reaction score
Are the tablets ok to use for foot rot in a cow. Mix in grain. Its the same as la 200 just in hcl. Am worried about ruminal microflora deppression.

In the case of foot rot LA 200 will be cheaper and more effective than the tablets .

Larry

I agree with Larry you would have better results with a LA pen or a pulten sulphate like trivetrin..

But, if this is an animal you can not lock up or pen to treat then do what you can and try the pellets. If you do not see an improvement within a couple of days then it is time to take aggressive action and use a proven treatment.

Terramycin is an outstanding product, the best of all the oxytetracyclines in my opinion. I use the injectable regularly, also for footrot. Have never used the crumbles in feed and the only tablets I use is the intra-uterine pessaries.

For footrot one injection of long acting oxytetracycline is usually sufficient, use a good product with a carrier suitable for IM injection. The text book treatment with oxytetracycline would be to use a short acting quick releasing product on first treatment followed up by a long acting product the next day, repeat after 72 hours if neccesary.

Make sure there are no foreign bodies in the foot or between the hoofs when treating the animal.

Thanks. I'll take this as there is no red flag with the pills. They are costly but right now I cant get her up, and would have to give her 6 shots with the la200. The limp is not so bad and I think I caught it quick. I built a feeder to keep waste down with square bales and were the are peeing and pooping around it is what did it. I built a mound out of gravel now to help.

KNERSIE, Is there a liquid terramycin that would only require one shot for a 1300lb animal?

Rather then LAanytthing, try Excenel. Much smaller does and it will knock out footrot fast and last for several days. Never have needed a followup shot wiht it.

hersh":3r7eumee said:
Are the tablets ok to use for foot rot in a cow. Mix in grain. Its the same as la 200 just in hcl. Am worried about ruminal microflora deppression.

No, I would not use terramycin tablets to treat foot rot. They will be pretty much ineffective, as this is not their intended use.

KNERSIE, Is there a liquid terramycin that would only require one shot for a 1300lb animal?

Dosage is very similar (if not the same) as LA200. It's 1cc per 10kg, the biggest advantage is in the carrier, tissue damage is almost not an issue. I still won't give more than 20cc per injection site.

Dun, Excenel is a prescription only product here and very expensive, I can buy quite a few bottles of Terramycin for every bottle of Excenel. I live quite a distance from the nearest town so for me its better to have some Terramycin in stock when I need it rather than to contact a vet and going to fetch it for every case of footrot.

KNERSIE":3ozlrkn9 said:

Dosage is very similar (if not the same) as LA200. It's 1cc per 10kg, the biggest advantage is in the carrier, tissue damage is almost not an issue. I still won't give more than 20cc per injection site.

Dun, Excenel is a prescription only product here and very expensive, I can buy quite a few bottles of Terramycin for every bottle of Excenel. I live quite a distance from the nearest town so for me its better to have some Terramycin in stock when I need it rather than to contact a vet and going to fetch it for every case of footrot.

It's prescription here too. I've pencil whipped then numbers and Excenel is within pennys of the treatment cost becasue of the smaller doasge. If you need a second shot of LAanything, Excenenl is cheaper over all

I use Nuflor usually one shot sub q. After reading this will probably try excenel. Any kind of crumbles have always been too expensive and WAY too much of a pain. I also plan on vaccinating the bulls this year that spend the most time in the mud. See what that does.

Latest posts