Terraced hay field

Help Support CattleToday:

Craig Miller

Reaction score
When you rake a terraced field, do you go up and over the hills or rake around one terrace at a time? Whats easier for baling?

Craig Miller":l3slbioo said:
When you rake a terraced field, do you go up and over the hills or rake around one terrace at a time? Whats easier for baling?
Depends on the terrace and how it's built.....you can drag a lot of teeth off if you straddle a steep one.

We always rake with the terrace. If not a set of header teeth wouldn't last a day. The ol 530 doesn't have a floating head.

Totally depends on the shape of the field and the size/shape of the terraces. One of our meadows is rectangular and the terraces run the short length across, curved. However they are large terraces so it is doable going across the terraces instead of with them.
One field we baled 3 years ago had small sharp terraces. One of those dipped in front of the terrace just right, and blew apart the clutch in our Vermeer baler. It was under warranty, and they did replace it, especially when we discovered that it was only tack-welded together.
A good rake hand should be able to maneuver terraces on behalf of the baler so that minimal baler damage is possible. But sometimes the field just doesn't allow it, in East TX.

Thanks for the help folks. I was beginning to think i was the only one that knew what i was asking. So if the hills are wide on top and bottom, its ok. Sharp, not ok. Well i have both so i guess ill just work through it.

Looks like its not gonna matter. Laid it all down on wednesday. That morning weather said 4 dry days ahead. That evening, after I laid it down, weather said 50% chance scattered rain thursday and dry friday and saturday. Rained all day thursday. Good shower friday morning and night. Light shower today. Forcast rain through tuesday. I have to leave on monday to go back to the rig for 2 weeks so looks like I just wasted that day and diesel. :bang:

Put some cows in there to eat it up in the swath before it rots... can at least save some of it that way, and not have it in your next cut

It has cows on most of it. One field has two mini horses on it. Not mine! Just to make that clear. :lol: Not enough to eat it all though

Latest posts