Terms

Help Support CattleToday:

T_Brown_

Reaction score
Could someone please explain a some of the the terms you often hear when a bull or cow is described. Like could be stronger topped? As well as any others that are thrown around.
Thanks

that just means their topline is straight an level.an that dont have a hump or a dipp in their back.

T_Brown_":1j18db0w said:
One more, F1?

Thanks
F1 is the result of crossing to pure breeds, i.e Angus x Gelbvieh, Hereford x Angus, etc. F2 is the reslut of mating 2 identical breed composition F1s

hrbelgians":a6rqfl59 said:
gerardplauche":a6rqfl59 said:
Here's another:

Worthless - Of or without value

:cowboy:

Mmmm, never heard that one. :lol2:

Nothing is worthless. Take the ugliest one in the state- it will allow me to say, "I've never owned one that bad."

Here are a few terms used on the board that I don't understand:

a tad pinched in the heart girth

Every one of his young bulls appeared to be thick and deep

nice spring to her rib

I am surprised in the lack of rib and depth

a little short-rumped from hooks to pins

he is post legged in the back end

appears to be cut-up in the flank

Dun, thanks. So if I breed a pure bred angus to a pure bred simmental the offspring is a F1? Then what is considered an identical breed composition to that offspring to make the F2?
Thanks

T_Brown_":1qhdamb6 said:
Dun, thanks. So if I breed a pure bred angus to a pure bred simmental the offspring is a F1? Then what is considered an identical breed composition to that offspring to make the F2?
Thanks

The identical breed compositin would be an F1 angus and simmenthal.

MShaffer":1rnibuq8 said:
Here are a few terms used on the board that I don't understand:

a tad pinched in the heart girth
Heart girth is the area right behind the front legs.

Every one of his young bulls appeared to be thick and deep
Deep bodied. Thick through the loin/back.

nice spring to her rib
Viewed from the rear, ribs should appear to "spring" out, giving her rounded vs. flat sides.

I am surprised in the lack of rib and depth
Same as above. Flat sided and shallow.

a little short-rumped from hooks to pins
You want a long, level rear. Hooks (hip bones) to Pins (right in front of tail head)

he is post legged in the back end
Not enough set in the hocks. Legs are straight like a post.

appears to be cut-up in the flank

When you breed two F1's is it the same as breeding two pure breds as for hybrid vigor? Or is it somewhere between breeding pure breds and a cross breeding? Hope that makes sense.
Thanks again

T_Brown_":2r5im7na said:
When you breed two F1's is it the same as breeding two pure breds as for hybrid vigor? Or is it somewhere between breeding pure breds and a cross breeding? Hope that makes sense.
Thanks again

It's similar to breeding within the same pure breed. What enters into the picture is something referred to as breed regression. There would be more heterosis in theory then if an F1 was bred back to one of the original parent breeds, but not much. I also hope that makes sense.

Re:
Worthless - Of or without value
Let me define that one for you.
The boss bought 6 bulls last year; all were supposed to have been tested.
Three were black Angus and three were composites.
The three composites ( Lover boy, Brownie and Curly) were put with 150 cows at the same time one of the Angus (Oscar) were put with 25 cows. The three composite's calves were on the ground 4-5 months ago. Oscar's calves never arrived and Curly was put in to do the job. Those 25 cows were just now sold and all were 3-5 months gone.
So around here "worthless" means "Oscar" the one who couldn't shoot straight or was shooting blanks.
SL

T_Brown_":pjik1wf4 said:
Thanks again

Now. to explain this in english will be a challenge; Heterosis, hybrid vigour, is really the level of heterogousity. That is the genes always go in pairs and if the pair is made up of two different ones, there is a strong probability that the dominant gene gives more health and growth and so on. Now in inbred cattle there are less heterosis than in normal cattle, and in crossbreds there are more. And if I breed a cow from one breed and a bull from another breed; there will be, in this example,!00 % heterosis in the f1s. If I then breed f1 to f1 the f2 that follow will only get fifty % because in the other half, the genes meet their own kind instead of the other kind. And ifI breed f1 to one of its parent breed, than the same will occur. This is still far more than purebred 0%. The lesser the chance of one gene to meet "itself" in a pair, the more heterosis; A british breed bred to a british breed will express sligtly less heterosis than a continental breed on british. A european breed on asian gives still more heterosis.