Terminology

Help Support CattleToday:

I've been around cattle all my life, and I have heard the terms first-calf, second-calf, and third-calf heifer for about as long. I haven't heard beyond third, though.

Millstreamin explained exactly what the terminology in the add meant. The only thing that may be misleading to someone who is familiar with the terminology is the actual age of the cow. Though, it should mean as he suggested: a 2 year old with, or due with, her first calf; a 3 year old with, or due with, her second calf; and a 4 year old with, or due with, her third calf.

And just as txag said, even though the terminology is technically incorrect, it's still what the terminology is supposed to mean in that add.

Personally, I think anyone who has been in the cattle business, or farming in general, for any significant amount of time, should realize there is more (useful) information out there than anyone person could learn in two lifetimes. Just because something doesn't fit one's own encyclopedia of knowledge, doesn't necessarily mean that information is bogus information.

I'm not saying no one should challenge what is being said by another person. After all, that is what makes these boards educational, as well as entertaining. I'm just saying try to keep an open mind to something you have never heard. JMO

As far as a 'first calf steer' or a 'first calf heifer' being the first steer or heifer calf born out of a heifer, that's new terminology to me. And this 'meaning' of the same terminology seems more reasonable than the 'meaning' I've known all my life; but that doesn't mean the 'meaning' I have always known, no matter how technically incorrect, doesn't still mean what it means.

Know what I mean?

txag":1ss9jx3r said:
backhoeboogie":1ss9jx3r said:
I wouldn't bite if I were in the market. Honestly. It purely sounds like someone doesn't know cattle, plain and simple. I'm 11th generation. Never heard second calf heifer til I came to this forum. I'm not the only one either.

does the word "tigerstripe" ring a bell? wonder what other terms you've never heard? :lol:

There are likely many more terms. Sort of like using the term "fixing to". Northern engineers don't understand "fixing to" and I avoid that term when we are having telecons. But, who ever buys my brindles can call them anything they want. They are not F1's and I would never lead anyone astray or use terms that are outside my vocabulary.

Msscamp using the term second calf heifer. I have an awful lot of respect for msscamp; enough to read every post she had ever made at one point. That doesn't mean I have to start using it. It simply doesn't seem right. As I said before, I feel filly and heifer are descriptive names with purpose.

I didn't start this thread. I certainly understand the confusion for the person who did.

Katherine,

Re:
Define "a pig in a poke".
It means the same as 'caveat emptor'. (let the buyer beware.)
Don't buy something you can't see. As in a pig in a poke. "Poke"AKA bag or sack.
OK?
SL