Terminology

Help Support CattleToday:

AF Ranch

Reaction score
This probably will show how much of a beginner I am.........local paper has advertisements that have me confused. "2nd Calf Heifers"......I thought a heifer became a cow after calving????? "Heavy Springers For Sale, Calving next 60 days"........I thought Heavy Springers meant they would freshen during spring????? Please clarify.........Thanks.

1st calf heifer, 2nd calf heifer and 3rd calf heifer are the same as a 2year old, 3 year old and 4 year old cow. Just a different way to say it. Springer means the cow is starting to "bag up" (udder is swelling) and will freshen (give birth) shortly. HTH

AF Ranch":5jnspkar said:
This probably will show how much of a beginner I am.........local paper has advertisements that have me confused. "2nd Calf Heifers"......I thought a heifer became a cow after calving????? "Heavy Springers For Sale, Calving next 60 days"........I thought Heavy Springers meant they would freshen during spring????? Please clarify.........Thanks.

Want to buy a "heiferette"? :lol:

How about a "Bullock"? :lol:

AF Ranch":3efnzjl9 said:
I thought a heifer became a cow after calving?????

That is how I have heard it referrred to all my 48 years. Then I came to this forum and heard "2nd calf heifer". It kind of botches the definition of heifer for me. Anyway, don't feel like the lone ranger.

It's to bad MM isn't around right now for she would definately explain the correct terminology.It bugs the heck out of her when addressing the wrong way;as it does many of us.

Technically a heifer does become a cow after she has a calf.. I suspect the "2nd calf heifer" was made up to show a cow was a young cow.

A heiferette is an older heifer that's never had a calf.

backhoeboogie":2l1hjurv said:
AF Ranch":2l1hjurv said:
I thought a heifer became a cow after calving?????

That is how I have heard it referrred to all my 48 years. Then I came to this forum and heard "2nd calf heifer". It kind of botches the definition of heifer for me. Anyway, don't feel like the lone ranger.

I've heard(and used) the term "2nd calf heifer" all my life. I never even questioned it until I joined this forum and discovered that a lot of people don't use that term. :lol: :lol:

BullLady, perhaps it is used to designate that a particular animal is not fully proven for calving? That has always been my understanding of the reasoning behind the term - not to make a cow seem young. That would be pretty evident based on her age.

Over the years I've hard about every variation.
Mine arew: Heifer, bred heifer, first calver, 3 year old cow, etc

Perhaps I can shed some light on this for you.
In every day talk to say heifer (meaning has never been bred or calved) and to say cow (has had at least one calf) is correct.
But when you are selling or buying you need to be a little more specific as to exactly what you are selling or buying to maximize profit or reduce your risk.
It goes like this:
1. un-bred heifer (open) (buyer will use his own bull for breeding and take all the risk.)
2. bred heifer (covered) (bred to sellers bull, but as yet has not given birth.)
3. 1St time heifer ( open or covered) (bred to seller's bull, and has given birth.) Sold as "first time heifer with calf at her side". This allows the buyer the maximum number of future cows and heifers to breed to his bull later on.
It also gives him a quick return on his investment from the bull/steers calves which he will sell at weaning, while at the same time proves the heifers will breed and have no problems giving birth, reducing his risk. And it also helps with adjusting his next breeding season as he can wean early or late as needed and still have an income that year.
4. Same goes for second time heifers. This is just a little added insurance that the heifer will breed back after calving and have no problem calving the second time.
2nd time heifers is mainly to check if she will breed back after giving birth and how long it takes and may be sold as both 2nd time heifer (covered, bred AKA 3 in 1, just like the oil.) or calf by her side (bred by sellers bull).

After that they are generally sold or bought as "cows", open, covered or calf by their side.

The exact breaking point between heifer and cow is always after the breed back or 2nd birth, as all stages of her reproductive cycle have been proven at those points.
SL

Sir Loin":yh1lhzb5 said:
Perhaps I can shed some light on this for you.
In every day talk to say heifer (meaning has never been bred or calved) and to say cow (has had at least one calf) is correct.
But when you are selling or buying you need to be a little more specific as to exactly what you are selling or buying to maximize profit or reduce your risk.
It goes like this:
1. un-bred heifer (open) (buyer will use his own bull for breeding and take all the risk.)
2. bred heifer (covered) (bred to sellers bull, but as yet has not given birth.)
3. 1St time heifer ( open or covered) (bred to seller's bull, and has given birth.) Sold as "first time heifer with calf at her side". This allows the buyer the maximum number of future cows and heifers to breed to his bull later on.
It also gives him a quick return on his investment from the bull/steers calves which he will sell at weaning, while at the same time proves the heifers will breed and have no problems giving birth, reducing his risk. And it also helps with adjusting his next breeding season as he can wean early or late as needed and still have an income that year.
4. Same goes for second time heifers. This is just a little added insurance that the heifer will breed back after calving and have no problem calving the second time.
2nd time heifers is mainly to check if she will breed back after giving birth and how long it takes and may be sold as both 2nd time heifer (covered, bred AKA 3 in 1, just like the oil.) or calf by her side (bred by sellers bull).

After that they are generally sold or bought as "cows", open, covered or calf by their side.

The exact breaking point between heifer and cow is always after the breed back or 2nd birth, as all stages of her reproductive cycle have been proven at those points.
SL

May be so in your little coner of thw world.

Re:
May be so in your little coner of thw world.
OK, FAX me an order for 50 cows with a bank letter of credit and see what you get.
I will ship you 50 of my best cull cows. The old, the lamb, those that won't breed or who prolapsed, still births etc etc etc,

And if you order 50 heifers, I will wean them and ship them.
Now would you like to be a little more specific as to what you want or just buy a pig in a poke? :lol:
SL

Heifer a young cow (as in female cattle) before she has had her first calf. The rest is just BS richer than three feet up a bulls butt. I guess the ones in the pasture that have had 18 to 20 calfs are wore out heifers.

it appears we all have different terminology for cattle. but in the end it is still the same

Sir Loin":35yvi00m said:
Now would you like to be a little more specific SL

See Outrigger2's post. The point is each area, and the individuals in that area all have differing teminology. Technically the only one that is wrong is to use the term heifer for anything that has calved. But there are those that do refer to second and even third calf heifers. Who knows, maybe they aborted the first calf/calves so maybe technically they haven;t had a calf.

CB,
Re:
Heifer a young cow (as in female cattle) before she has had her first calf.
Yep, that's how Webster defines it! But then again Webster doesn't claim to be in the cattle business.
: a young cow; especially : one that has not had a calf
Do you see the word "especially"?
Does that not tell you, that in the cattle industry, there are other definitions besides "one that has not had a calf" ? Such as 1st time and 2nd time heifers.

I'm surprised that you didn't know this as you claim to be such an experienced cow man.
Go figure!
SL