Terminology questions

Help Support CattleToday:

S.R.R.":2shkktok said:
Alice":2shkktok said:
S.R.R.":2shkktok said:
Sir, I've never held myself out to be anything other than someone that raises sale barn baby calves...

Alice I will try and be nice since you are a lady but............ After reading your above post I am finding it hard to understand why the ---- you have been posting on the topic of creep feeding! :help: :help: :roll:

Because, my brother and I were keeping 60 head of jersey heifers and 6 jersey bulls for someone until he could get them shipped out. We fed them for as long as we could afford it...about 3 months, then we told the guy they had to go. We were not going to let them get down due to the drought, and it had gotten to a point that we knew the guy wouldn't be able to afford to pay us for the feed. We'd gotten to a point that we (I) threw in the labor for free...but we could only go so far.

No, it's not creep feeding as is known by only allowing calves to eat. We fed "creep feed" because it is the stuff that supplements forage during droughts. And, the dairies were buying the stuff by the truck load to do the same thing. Creep feed and creep feeding are literally two different things, I suppose. However, it does have to do with a lack of forage (it is not grain per se), and I just got tired of splitting hairs when it comes to taking care of animals that I, or anyone else, has commited a responsibility toward. When the ox is in the ditch, as it were. If I've not been able to explain my stance, then he11, nail me. I'm really tired of having to justify myself when it comes to making certain animals in my care will be attended to, by God.

Alice

Alice sorry to have carried on so long discussing creep feed or feeding with you. I did not realize that you honestly had know idea what it is. I thought you were just being argumentative. If you would like to know more about it feel free to read the links I posted earlier or ask ?s it is O.K. to not know about everything. Don't feel bad just be sure you have some knowledge of what you are talking about the next time please. :cboy:

:roll: whatever :roll:

Ok, I promise not to impose my petty little thoughts on those with superior knowledge, such as yourself...I forgot my little ol' self, sir. Let me curtsy and kiss your ring...bleech!

I can only imagine what it must be like to be a legend in one's own mind. :)

Alice

S.R.R.":2vea6d3o said:
Alice sorry to have carried on so long discussing creep feed or feeding with you. I did not realize that you honestly had know idea what it is. I thought you were just being argumentative. If you would like to know more about it feel free to read the links I posted earlier or ask ?s it is O.K. to not know about everything. Don't feel bad just be sure you have some knowledge of what you are talking about the next time please. :cboy:

Ok, I promise not to impose my petty little thoughts on those with superior knowledge, such as yourself...I forgot my little ol' self, sir. Let me curtsy and kiss your ring...bleech!

Well there you have it. I tried being nice at the advice of BHB and msscamp and this is were it got me! :roll: It looks like you are no lady at all and I should have talked to you like ALX from the start! Thank you for the nice names you called me but the only legend I know is Elvis and the only "bleech" on here seems to be you! ;-) Some one please remind me next time that trying to nice will only get you shat on. :mad:

63DH8":1ee7yjxn said:
S.R.R.":1ee7yjxn said:
There are many kinds of cattle in the same breed!

Whoa there! You said there are many kinds of cattle in the same breed??? How so? Please define! Explain please!

Go out to a cow pasture or even a sale barn and look at a bunch of cattle that are of the same breed you will start to see how they differ one from another. Picking the right cattle out of a breed, is at times almost more important then picking the breed its self!

S.R.R.":3o3jd4g6 said:
S.R.R.":3o3jd4g6 said:

Well there you have it. I tried being nice at the advice of BHB and msscamp and this is were it got me! :roll: It looks like you are no lady at all and I should have talked to you like ALX from the start! Thank you for the nice names you called me but the only legend I know is Elvis and the only "bleech" on here seems to be you! ;-) Some one please remind me next time that trying to nice will only get you shat on. :mad:

No sir...you were being purposly and obviously condescending and belittling. End of story.

Alice

Alice":12ul6ed8 said:
S.R.R.":12ul6ed8 said:
S.R.R.":12ul6ed8 said:

No sir...you were being purposly and obviously condescending and belittling. End of story.

Alice

O.K. if that is how you feel it is best we just leave it at that. I do not want to get someone elses post locked and I can see there is no reasoning with you. :help:

S.R.R.":txxocd4c said:
S.R.R.":txxocd4c said:
It looks like you are no lady at all and I should have talked to you like ALX from the start! Thank you for the nice names you called me but the only legend I know is Elvis and the only "bleech" on here seems to be you! ;-) Some one please remind me next time that trying to nice will only get you shat on. :mad:

I was trying to ignore her S.R.R. but she keeps nipping on my posts. She will keep replying in either a hurt or indignant tone until she gets sympathy, or at least the last word in!! Ego thing, or inferiority complex I guess.

OOPs!! Is this not a PM to S.R.R.!! ( Trick learned from 63DH8 ).

:lol: :lol:

S.R.R.":o6xwlz4a said:
63DH8":o6xwlz4a said:
S.R.R.":o6xwlz4a said:
There are many kinds of cattle in the same breed!

Whoa there! You said there are many kinds of cattle in the same breed??? How so? Please define! Explain please!

Go out to a cow pasture or even a sale barn and look at a bunch of cattle that are of the same breed you will start to see how they differ one from another. Picking the right cattle out of a breed, is at times almost more important then picking the breed its self!

Oh. Okay. I thought you meant something else. Different patterns, colors, saggy bellies, bony hips, mis-shaped udders, et al. Sounds like one of the Seattle parks!
lool.gif

AngusLimoX":1scrhnre said:
OOPs!! Is this not a PM to S.R.R.!! ( Trick learned from 63DH8 ).

:lol: :lol:

Wasn't a trick. I was admitting publicly that I made a mistake. When I make a mistake, I'll admit it. It's the honorable and right thing to do.

backhoeboogie":37mqwyf8 said:
63DH8":37mqwyf8 said:
When I make a mistake, I'll admit it. It's the honorable and right thing to do.

You keep climbing the scale. Impressive and intelligent.

And a twisted sense of humor too! :D I love practical jokes as long as no-one gets hurt (physically as well as their honor) and nothing gets damaged. One of my favorite pranks to pull on my daughter when she was younger was, when we were at a resturant, as soon as she took off to go to the bathroom, I would cut a little hole in her straw just below the level of the drink so when she starts drinking, she can drink with no problem. However, as soon as the level of her drink drops below the hole, she would suck air. Try it! Their expression is a Kodak moment!

63DH8,

Don't let some of the answers you've received in this thread discourage you. Some people just have to be a smart alec every time they open their mouths. Keep asking questions and most on here will be glad to help you as best they can. A few will laugh at you and try to make themselves look superior- it's just some people's nature. Don't give them the attention they think they deserve and usually they will go away.

As for the conflicting answers, well, that's just the nature of the busuness. What works for one person in one area with one end goal in mind may not work for another. In other words, whats right for one may be wrong for another, and vice versa. You''l just have to learn the differnce between fact and opinion and sort it out for yourself. I have no doubt you can do it.

VanC":enkdzt3r said:
63DH8,

Don't let some of the answers you've received in this thread discourage you. Some people just have to be a smart alec every time they open their mouths. Keep asking questions and most on here will be glad to help you as best they can. A few will laugh at you and try to make themselves look superior- it's just some people's nature. Don't give them the attention they think they deserve and usually they will go away.

As for the conflicting answers, well, that's just the nature of the busuness. What works for one person in one area with one end goal in mind may not work for another. In other words, whats right for one may be wrong for another, and vice versa. You''l just have to learn the differnce between fact and opinion and sort it out for yourself. I have no doubt you can do it.

There'll always be conflicts in opinions, especially when it comes to how people feel things should be done. I got the impression that I'd have to wade through (I've been waiting to use this! :D ) the "B.S." and get to the truths and theories. The theories interest me because it's what people are experimenting with to improve where they see an improvement can be made. It's what makes this site interesting and raising cattle interesting too. You can see if your theories bear fruit (or calves).

Those who have something smart to say, well, it gives this site flavor. It's kind of like the vinegar in the salad or the anchovies in the Thousand Island Dressing. Without it, something tastes missing. When you know it's there, you think, "Why??? Oh dear God, WHY????!!!"

63DH8":2u47c7m5 said:
Those who have something smart to say, well, it gives this site flavor. It's kind of like the vinegar in the salad or the anchovies in the Thousand Island Dressing. Without it, something tastes missing. When you know it's there, you think, "Why??? Oh dear God, WHY????!!!"

Good man, sense of humor , leather on your back and willing to learn before SUBJECTING LIVE CATTLE TO YOUR INEXPERIENCE. :lol: :lol:

Without the odd tail twisting, varying opinions, regional differences this place would be like reading a medical journal!!

I have noticed a lot of new posters with good attitudes lately. Just my opinion though.

What breeds are most popular in your area 63DH8 and what the hey does your name mean? :lol:

dun":3ddm0nrt said:
dun":3ddm0nrt said:
63DH8":3ddm0nrt said:
Next question... What's "WW"?

Could be Wascily Wabbit

dun

Aw man! I was going to use that, you wise wascel! :D

AngusLimoX":3ddm0nrt said:
63DH8":3ddm0nrt said:

Good man, sense of humor , leather on your back and willing to learn before SUBJECTING LIVE CATTLE TO YOUR INEXPERIENCE. :lol: :lol:

Without the odd tail twisting, varying opinions, regional differences this place would be like reading a medical journal!!

I have noticed a lot of new posters with good attitudes lately. Just my opinion though.

What breeds are most popular in your area 63DH8 and what the hey does your name mean? :lol:

AngusLimoX, the White faced Hereford are popular around here, as is the angus breed. limousines are around too, but I haven't seen them nearly as much as the others. I have "some" experience with beef cattle, but not much. After my father retired from the Navy, we raised a few head of Herefords and one angus/jersey mix. I didn't like walking into that situation knowing as little as we did. Prior to that, my sister wanted a milk cow. I tried to talk the family out of that because none of us knew anything about cattle, and I knew I was going to get stuck with taking care of an animal that would restrict my freedom. Sure enough, that cow got mastitis when she took off through a bunch of blackberry bushes! She cut one of her nipples and it got infected. Her udder got hard in that one quarter. Yours truly had to clean the wound several times a day and keep it drained. None-the-less, it cost her a nipple. I felt that should not of happened. It could have been prevented if we knew more about cattle care.

I'm not a softy where butchering an animal for food would bother me. However, I don't like to see things suffer for nothing. I don't want my animals suffering and/or dieing because I didn't know better. It wouldn't bother me to kill an animal for food, but for it to die due to my stupidity, that would bother me for quite some time.

The name I'm using, 63DH8 was my job code in the military. I was an artillery mechanic (63D). I was also a recovery vehicle commander (additional job designation: H8 ). The vehicle on the left is what I used to work on, and I was the commander of the one on the right. I'm proud of my military service. :)
3048109_recovery.jpg

This picture was taken in Iraq in 1991. Shortly afterwards, I got my back messed up and had to leave the region. V-12, air cooled, twin turbo engine. 56 tons dry weight.

After growing up with my father who was a 42 year, three war Veteran, then joining the Army and doing two enlistment, you grow a thick skin. Besides, I prefer giving the benefit of the doubt and take what others say in a good light. That keeps communications open. Getting pissed off only closes everyone's mind. When that happens, the discussion only becomes an argument and only gets out of hand. My personal philosophy is to try to see things through the other person's perspective. If that can't be accomplished, perhaps one or the other is truly an @ssh*le. :D

Well it is truly a pleasure to have you on board and we are gonna have a lot of fun!! ( You saw the smiley things after the experience crack, that meant I was joking :lol: We all started somewhere ).

Almost same breed set here ( similar latitudes? ) but believe it or not Angus are probably 4th or 5th to herf,charl, lim, simm. Interesting. Looking forward to your posts when you start leaning in one direction or another.

You beware of the Wise Wabbit, he'll bite you when you least expect it!

Latest posts