Terminal Sires. What breed and what bull?

Help Support CattleToday:

blackcowz

Reaction score
I was thinking about breeding a few terminal calves next year. I wanted to know what breed of bull works the best on Angus and Angus X maternal cows. Also, if anyone has a bull in mind, please share him with me. I do want to stay away form the Maine influence.
Thanks,
Cade

Since I don;t use black Simmenthals I haven;t even looked at them. We use Autobahn from Seelect Sires and really like tha calves and how they grade.

My choice would be Gelbvieh or Simmental. Those two breeds are very similar in what they bring to the table.

I have three Black Simental bulls off of Gambler, Prefered Beef,and Power Drive. I like the Gambler the best. He is an older bloodline with high numbers that are accurate.

Limousin would add muscling and feed efficieny. They come in black too. Wulfs Spring Loaded, Wulfs Guardian and DJ Gentleman In Black are some good terminal bulls ABS has. Otherwise Limi Gene has just about any Limousin bull you can imagine. Wulfs Nobel Prize will add a lot of thickness. Carrousels MVP is a bull with tremendous growth and muscling. There are also tons of great red bulls.

Thanks for all the feedback. I've got a pretty good idea of what I'm looking to do now. :cboy: On another note, I also have a couple cows bred to a Limmi that need to go back to a maternal this year. Anyone have some Shortie, Angus, and/or Hereford names? A little extra growth might not be too bad, but I want a good bull that'll make me some nice females. Suggestions, anyone?

http://bullbarn.com/gelbepd.asp?ID=185

Take a look at this Gelbvieh Bull. He's got it all. Especially if you are breeding to mature cows. His calving ease numbers are just OK but growth, and marbling, and ribeye are very good. Also his carcass value and feedlot merit numbers are super high. He is also not too bad for calving ease on his offspring if you wanted to keep some balancer heifers out of him.

LaneFarms":zu9yjfxx said:
3waycross have you used National? He sure has some good numbers and phenotype.

I am looking at him for next years breeding, on some registered and some commercial cows. His calving ease numbers DO NOT scare me. I would like to stay a little negative for Birthweight but he has so much going for him it looks like he's the one for me. I have gone blind looking for the perfect Gelbvieh bull and he comes the closest. I want those growth and marbling numbers and he has both.

greenwillowhereford II":2bjvxk74 said:
Charolais if you want continental.

why not stay black? I can't see where he would gain that much if anything over a good Gelbvieh or blk Simental. Unless Smokies sell really well in his part of Colo, cuz they sure as he[[ don't bring a penny more in my part of the state.

greenwillowhereford II":2v9jo4lt said:
Well, I've considered that. Got a roan cow to play with, and that's it. She's got enough white and is bred enough Shortie that I can try the white bulls. Otherwise, smoky calves are OK. Got to be show quality, though.

blackcowz":jkz70lne said:
greenwillowhereford II":jkz70lne said:
Well, I've considered that. Got a roan cow to play with, and that's it. She's got enough white and is bred enough Shortie that I can try the white bulls. Otherwise, smoky calves are OK. Got to be show quality, though.
Blackcowz-

Throughout this entire thread I have read nothing but "---You need to use this breed - or - you want this breed - or - try this, or try that!" I have read NOTHING about selecting an individual for Phenotypic traits such as this or that, - or - planning a breeding with a particular GOAL in mind - except "---got to be show quality, though."

Could you elucidate what you really mean by 'Show Quality'?

Specifically?!

DOC HARRIS

My apologies, DOC. OK, to sum this up, I want a growth bull that'll produce calves that'll grow big and feed out well. Terminal calves. Also, I meant show quality by being a thick, well balanced, heavy muscled, growthy bull that'll make the same type of calves. I tried to say the bull can't make a smokie calf for the sale barn cause they don't sell. The calf would need to have that "showy", up headed look.

Latest posts