Terminal sire recommendations

Help Support CattleToday:

Yes I have proof they have the largest pelvic area of any cattle breed you numnuts. Salers have Bigger Pelvic Areas?
Montana State University measured 153 Salers, 175 Angus and 94 Hereford yearlings and found the average pelvic areas of the Salers to be 15 square centimetres greater than the Herefords and 10 square centimetres greater than the Angus. In a similar study, the Colorado State University measured more than 900 yearlings representing 17 breeds in the USA and again confirmed that Salers had, on average, larger pelvic areas than any of the other breeds examined.

There is your proof numnuts from montana state university and colorado state university. It has been proven through measurements time and time again. So do research before opening your mouth about something you obviously no nothing about.

Do Salers really Calve Easily?
Every breed claims easy calving, so personal experience of Salers is probably necessary to be convinced that they really are out on their own for calving ease in a beef breed. Talking with any Salers breeder should help.

The US Meat Animal Research Centre (MARC), in the world's most comprehensive multi-breed comparison trial conducted over the last 20 years established in Cycle 4 Phase 1 that Salers bulls over Angus and Hereford cows produced 97.8% unassisted births. In Cycle 4 Phase 3, the performance of females of various breeds was compared. (See table 1). Salers-cross females calving as two-year-olds had considerably fewer calving difficulties than traditional breeds. The table also shows that the MARC trials confirm that Salers cross females WEAN HEAVIER CALVES.

RESULTS FROM US MEAT ANIMAL RESEARCH CENTRE TRIALS, CYCLE 4, PHASE 3

Breed Group of Dam Calving unassisted
200-day weight

Salers 85.7

Hereford-Angus 68.9

Charolais 72.9

Gelbvieh 70.7

Pinzqauer 64.0

Shorthorn 75.2

Galloway

Piedmontese

John Arnell of "Crescent Vale" near Tara was losing about 20% of his heifers with calving problems. He introduced Salers bulls and the losses fell to around 2%. Not only does John have the extra calves to sell, but the number of replacement females he needs to retain is 20% less.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What about Eating Quality?
Shane Spargo operates a butchery near Lismore in NSW and he put some Salers-cross carcases bred by his father, Tony, at Tabulum, through his shop. The customer response was such that sales increased by 300 kilograms per week. The majority of Tony's calves now are sold direct to consumers through the butch

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My thought on the Charolais is that what I loose by not having a black calf, I'll make up for in gross body weight. I plan on buying all my replacements and not retaining any heifers. Also, I'll have the Angus bull season after next if I pick up any heifers. My thought on the Limousin was that I'd get a black calf that would be a little larger at weaning than with the Angus. I just don't know much about Limousins. If they are tempremental, or high maintenance I'd just as soon pass on them.

We have always run Limousin bulls on our crossed up mamas. First red, then a few years ago, switched to black. We don't have problems with temperament, are confident that they perform well, and have been quite satisfied with the quality of our calves.

Yes,

There may be a good bull in every breed that brings certain traits to the table. My knowledge is not limited. Although I do not know everything I do know what Im talking about when it comes to cows. As stated before everyone has their specialty breeds. Mine happen to be gelbvieh, angus, and salers. I did however have 250 head of herefords so I know about those to. Its just everything I have seen from charolais hasnt been promising at all. Sure there is junk in every breed. I however have tried to get some of the best genetics money can buy in the cattle industry and numnuts come on here that have nothing better to do than come on here and rag on a mans cattle that he has worked hard to get. Sure charolais can bring good traits to the table but the 90-100 pound babies are hard for cows to deliver. It would be hard for any cow to drop these even salers. Our cattle come out between 55-80 pounds with 80 pounds being the heaviest. They usually wean off their mother between 650-750 pounds. Usually by the time they are 1 year old they weigh on average of 1200 pounds and by the time they are 2 weigh close to 1600 pounds. Sure every now and then with any breed you may have a breech. I have yet to have one on the cattle I have now. I have yet to use the birthing chains. I have not had to assists in any births. My calves hit the ground running literally. Frankly Im done posting on this board. I could care less what anyone has to say on the matter. Im just tired of all the numnuts telling me im wrong when im damn well right. In fact what might work for one farmer might not work for another farmer. So for all you numnuts out there think before you speak so you arent left looking like a jackass when you open your mouth. Also learn that when someone simply states their opinion to leave it be. Next time someone basically beats around the bush and says im an idiot you will be reported. Not that anyone cares or what have you.

CommercialCattleManTN":1zszicee said:
Yes I have proof they have the largest pelvic area of any cattle breed you numnuts. Salers have Bigger Pelvic Areas?
Montana State University measured 153 Salers, 175 Angus and 94 Hereford yearlings and found the average pelvic areas of the Salers to be 15 square centimetres greater than the Herefords and 10 square centimetres greater than the Angus. In a similar study, the Colorado State University measured more than 900 yearlings representing 17 breeds in the USA and again confirmed that Salers had, on average, larger pelvic areas than any of the other breeds examined.

I know I'm ignorant about farming in America Mr Commercial Cattleman, but I would be prepared to bet there are more than 17 cattle breeds in the US.
I'm not trying to argue this point with you, it just irritates me that you seem to have to insult anyone who dissagrees with you.
No matter how long youv'e been in the cattle bussiness you can never know it all. You said yourself that youve been out of it a long time. I think you will find things have changed one heck of a lot over the last 20 or 30 years.

CommercialCattleManTN":1zdtad2h said:
Yes,

There may be a good bull in every breed that brings certain traits to the table. My knowledge is not limited. Although I do not know everything I do know what Im talking about when it comes to cows. As stated before everyone has their specialty breeds. Mine happen to be gelbvieh, angus, and salers. I did however have 250 head of herefords so I know about those to. Its just everything I have seen from charolais hasnt been promising at all. Sure there is junk in every breed. I however have tried to get some of the best genetics money can buy in the cattle industry and numnuts come on here that have nothing better to do than come on here and rag on a mans cattle that he has worked hard to get. Sure charolais can bring good traits to the table but the 90-100 pound babies are hard for cows to deliver. It would be hard for any cow to drop these even salers. Our cattle come out between 55-80 pounds with 80 pounds being the heaviest. They usually wean off their mother between 650-750 pounds. Usually by the time they are 1 year old they weigh on average of 1200 pounds and by the time they are 2 weigh close to 1600 pounds. Sure every now and then with any breed you may have a breech. I have yet to have one on the cattle I have now. I have yet to use the birthing chains. I have not had to assists in any births. My calves hit the ground running literally. Frankly Im done posting on this board. I could care less what anyone has to say on the matter. Im just tired of all the numnuts telling me im wrong when im damn well right. In fact what might work for one farmer might not work for another farmer. So for all you numnuts out there think before you speak so you arent left looking like a jackass when you open your mouth. Also learn that when someone simply states their opinion to leave it be. Next time someone basically beats around the bush and says im an idiot you will be reported. Not that anyone cares or what have you.
Later. Don't let the door hit ya.

MikeC":39n8jazy said:
I have seen to many charolais breeders have to use the birthing chains on every single calf.

That's funny. All my cows and several of my neighbors breed exclusively to Charolais, including heifers with no problems. Only calves we have to pull are breech.

The ones around here that have problems are the Brangus. One neighbor pulled 15 out of 15 brangus heifers two years ago, bred to Brangus bulls. But that's not saying the whole Brangus herd has trouble with calving. I say someone made mistakes and it is an isolated incidence.

I guess some people just don't know how to develop a heifer or buy a bull, do they?

Just how many Charolais breeders have you seen that had to use the chains on every single calf? I don't suppose you could back that statement up with anything but talk, could you?

I simply do not believe you have seen it.

What about this statement CCT? You want to explain this lie too?

CommercialCattleManTN":3tbr75v5 said:
Next time someone basically beats around the bush and says im an idiot you will be reported.
What about ignornant, instead? Can I call you that? I'm not gonna beat around the bush about doing it, either. I'm telling you flat out---you're ignorant. Look it up and you'll find that to be a true statement, not merely my opinion. You know absolutely nothing about modern Charolais cattle. Eighty to 85 pound birthweights are the norm for mine.

A lot of things have changed since the 70s. If you don't have any recent experience with cattle, you should just admit it. Try to learn something. Instead of yapping so much.

CCMTN wrote:
Ive fought and beaten many a man in my life and would do so again at the drop of a hat because I like it. In my younger days I fought anyone anywhere anytime. Im still game for good confrontations even at my ripe old age of 55.

Better watch him, Texan. He's liable to put a fist through his computer screen and get glass all over your floor! :lol:

MikeC":3ieskykr said:
Better watch him, Texan. He's liable to put a fist through his computer screen and get glass all over your floor! :lol:
Thanks for looking out for me, Mike. I'm not too scared, though. If he goes through life worried about a yellow baby calf whipping his ass, must not be much to him. ;-)

MikeC":ux9mn0vx said:
CCMTN wrote:
Ive fought and beaten many a man in my life and would do so again at the drop of a hat because I like it. In my younger days I fought anyone anywhere anytime. Im still game for good confrontations even at my ripe old age of 55.

Well Mike I have had the honor to meet the Texan and Caustic and that fellow would rather be locked in a phone booth with a wildcat.

Texan is one of the few real cattlemen on this board, he aint even in the same league that's MO.

Campground Cattle":duozdfsm said:
MikeC":duozdfsm said:
CCMTN wrote:

Well Mike I have had the honor to meet the Texan and Caustic and that fellow would rather be locked in a phone booth with a wildcat.

Texan is one of the few real cattlemen on this board, he aint even in the same league that's MO.

I'm totally convinced!

Ryder":1tnjxggm said:
bullred":1tnjxggm said:
I don't think I need to pitch a tent on the pasture for a couple of months during calving season

CJ

Oh c'mon CJ. Be a sport. Pitch a tent and build a fire. We could all come out and sing campfire songs.

Okay Ryder, you bring the crawfish, I'll get the beer, and we'll let them 25 tigerstripes provide the entertainment!

CJ

Latest posts