Terminal/Maternal - A Greenhorn's Master Plan

Help Support CattleToday:

Arkieman

Reaction score
First of all, thanks to all for making this such a great site! My son & I have purchased 6 Angus heifers. Here's a pict taken by my 7 y/o daughter..
482757.jpg

These were purchased off a friends commercial ranch. They are grass/hay/silage only operation - no grain. He says the calves perform in the feedlot as well. I've been feeding them some $80/ton full fat rice bran w/ a scoop of cottonseed meal. I feed about a 5 gal bucket/day to the 6 heifers and one 5 y/o Hereford cow w/ a 2 mth old bull calf. He said increasing fat intake would help them cycle better since I was going to AI. He suggests getting a good Angus bull. I like the look of the heifers, however they need some help in the hip area. Our plan was to AI to the Maine Anjou bull Polled Energizer http://www.semexusa.com/beef/Beef.aspx?breed=MA&ID=1448. I believe he will help some in the hip and overall thickness, but will be easy on the heifers. We plan on hanging on to any heifer calves. At next breeding we will be looking at a good Terminal-type bull to use for the heifers 2nd calf. My question is this, there is such a black hide bias here in Arkansas, how could you get away w/ using a Char Term bull? Looks like you'd loose any increase in weight gain for wrong color...

Any suggestions? Constructive criticism?

It seems to me that feeders around here would rather have a char cross calf than about anything. A black gelbvieh or balancer would be my choice. You know better than anyone what sells in your area.