Terminal Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

etr

Reaction score
Long time lurker here. Thanks for all the great information much appreciated.

My question:

What is the best bull for terminal calves out of ultra black females? Hereford, Charolais, Simmental?

thanks in advance.

etr

:welcome:
Well being a Brangus breeder myself, I would have to say an ultra black bull. :D However, the truth is probably any of the 3 that you mentioned would work out pretty nice, depending on what your cows are like to determine which choice of the 3. Can you tell us more about your cows? Frame size ect.

branguscowgirl":2t8hndaf said:
Well being a Brangus breeder myself, I would have to say an ultra black bull. :D However, the truth is probably any of the 3 that you mentioned would work out pretty nice, depending on what your cows are like to determine which choice of the 3. Can you tell us more about your cows? Frame size ect.

Frame score 5. Ultra blacks are out of Angus mommas & registered Brangus bulls. Brangus are Brinks bloodlines from Camp Cooley. We raise commercial Angus & registered Brangus mommas & bulls. We're located about an hour southeast of Dallas.

Etr

branguscowgirl":1vysmgog said:
Why Ultra black bull? I would rather use three breeds mentioned before use an ultra black bull.

Charolais bull is excellent choice for terminal calves. It works so well on almost every breed with a Charolais.

Lots of people wouldn't consider Hereford a terminal on the Ultra Black cow. Limousin or a Charolais would be my pick. I am a little biased to the Limousin.

Taurus":j54s72c8 said:
branguscowgirl":j54s72c8 said:
Why Ultra black bull? I would rather use three breeds mentioned before use an ultra black bull.

Charolais bull is excellent choice for terminal calves. It works so well on almost every breed with a Charolais.
You are right for a "terminal" cross Taurus. I was just being a little sarcastic when I said "Ultra black" because my friends and I often sell them. ;-) I think everyone should own a Brangus or Ultrablack bull.
Just ignore me, I know nothing about terminal crosses. :mrgreen:
That is why I said the truth is.........

Baldies bring a premium here over charolais crosses. We just bought a couple Hereford bulls ourselves a few weeks ago to go that direction, on Brangus cows. Steers top the market, and heifers bring a premium as replacements...can't do much better than that.

I think I'd think of Char or Simm, then Gelbvieh or Limo, then Herfs... I have my own biases too though.. The Gelbvieh will probably have a little less frame than the Limo, same goes for Char having a little less than Simm.. though a lot of that can vary depending on which bloodlines you get

[/quote]Frame score 5. Ultra blacks are out of Angus mommas & registered Brangus bulls. Brangus are Brinks bloodlines from Camp Cooley. We raise commercial Angus & registered Brangus mommas & bulls. We're located about an hour southeast of Dallas. Etr[/quote]
Knowing the area of Texas you are in helps. Of the 3 breeds you mentioned, I would use in this order: 1) Charolais, 2) Simmental , and 3) Hereford. The yellow calves sell as well as blacks in this area.

Red Bull Breeder":1xexkmc5 said:
Lots of people wouldn't consider Hereford a terminal on the Ultra Black cow. Limousin or a Charolais would be my pick. I am a little biased to the Limousin.
I agree, Limo would be a good pick, too.

etr":945qlcsa said:

My question:

What is the best bull for terminal calves out of ultra black females? Hereford, Charolais, Simmental?

thanks in advance.

etr

Why do you want to go terminal when good quality replacement heifers will outsell their terminal counterparts?

smnherf":3d3xk6jl said:
etr":3d3xk6jl said:

My question:

thanks in advance.

etr

Why do you want to go terminal when good quality replacement heifers will outsell their terminal counterparts?

Great question and appreciate the conversation. We sell replacements from our brangus & ultra black. Just looking to try something new using 25 ultra blacks and see what we get on the scale. Were we are located cattle with ear, black and of course baldys sell great. Hopefully I do not sound ingnorant. I'm by no means an expert. Again, really appreciate all the information you all provide.

Etr

Since this is kindof an experiment, what about using two different bulls on the group? A Charolais, and either a Simmental or Hereford. You would be able to tell the calves apart, and probably have enough of each type to compare. Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong using any of those breeds.

Also depends on what kind of breeders you have near you if you want to buy locally. I'd like to try a good gelb bull but haven't id'ed any really reputable breeders near me

To me it would depend on the "terminal" market you are targeting for the calves, as that means different things to different people.

If all your calves are going to be weaned on the way to the local sale barn, then figure out the type of calves the buyers are looking for and buy a bull to match. Baldies top the market? Then get a high WW, growthy Hereford bull. Blacks? High WW, Homozygous Black Sim.

If Terminal means feeding them out and selling on the rail, then the EPD's you want may change.

Regardless, I think you need to start with the exact end-buyer in mind before deciding on the genetics you want to use.

WarEagle73":3ufqum6i said:
To me it would depend on the "terminal" market you are targeting for the calves, as that means different things to different people.

If all your calves are going to be weaned on the way to the local sale barn, then figure out the type of calves the buyers are looking for and buy a bull to match. Baldies top the market? Then get a high WW, growthy Hereford bull. Blacks? High WW, Homozygous Black Sim.

If Terminal means feeding them out and selling on the rail, then the EPD's you want may change.

Regardless, I think you need to start with the exact end-buyer in mind before deciding on the genetics you want to use.

Feeding out is our plan. A guy in our neck of the woods does well with Charolais x Angus. He's got a pretty good size operation.

etr":1yu88cto said:
WarEagle73":1yu88cto said:

Feeding out is our plan. A guy in our neck of the woods does well with Charolais x Angus. He's got a pretty good size operation.

Awesome. I've always thought taking cattle from start to finish would be a fun project. I think the next question would be how do you get paid for the calves after they are fed? On a commercial grid? Are there branded programs you can target? Certified Angus Beef? Is this for a freezer beef market where quality grades aren't quite as important?

If I had your cowherd and was aiming for a commercial packer that bought cattle on a traditional grid and had premiums for CAB, then a homozygous black and polled Simmental would be the route I would go out of the breeds you listed. Regardless of breed, I would be looking for a bull with Marbling, Ribeye Area(REA), Yearling Weight(YW), and Weaning Weight (WW) EPD's that are at least above average for the breed and preferably top 20%. The idea with those being that the resulting calves would have growth as well as carcass traits that will effect the grid price you receive. If you have heifers then BW and Calving Ease would also come into the picture. Frame Score would also be a consideration. I would prefer a bull around FS 6 should create steers that finish at an acceptable weight but larger framed wouldn't be terrible either if you don't mind feeding them a little longer to get to a heavier weight. Maternal EPD's can go out the window completely if you intend for all of the heifer to be fed out as well.

That's my opinion/thoughts on your situation.

Latest posts