Terminal Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

limi or lim-flex would be a good choice, a flex 75% bull would give you a little angus to go with it, Limi cleans up brangus influenced cattle very well, as for ear and dew lap .

OK! . . . . . Here we go again! - BREEDS - BREEDS - BREEDS. In addition to having our heads into BREEDS, we need to have our constant THOUGHTS into BALANCING Traits and Characteristics with the cows to which the bull(s) will be bred. If the cows have certain "weaknesses" in your opinion, then select bulls which will overcome those negative traits without causing a TRAIN WRECK with other desirable Traits and Characteristics. That is why it is called BALANCING.

You have many good suggestions here about certain breeds, but the important factors to consider are to match those individuals with EPD's and DNA markers which will ultimately IMPROVE the resulting progeny.

There are some on this forum that stress Charolais to a great degree, and I can't fault that opinion too much - with the exception that there are some Charolais traits which will NOT be in balance with some cows (whatever breed we are considering) with some frame size that are in opposition to those presented by Charolais. Calving ease, mothering ability, Milk production that is not over +25 should be considered. High Milk EPD's can give rise to narrow pelvis openings, light bone structure, and lack of body capacity - thereby birthing a bulky Charolais calf MIGHT be a little difficult. Every individual is different, but you don't want to buy a 'pig-in-a-poke' and end up with difficult calving problems. Consider your cows' frame scores pretty carefully when selecting bulls.

Think beyond BREEDS - BREEDS - BREEDS!

DOC HARRIS

Doc

thank you for your feedback. I certainly agree with you about matching the right bull with the right cow, no matter the breed. in a previous post I gave the frame score of the Ultra Blacks. we definitely are not looking to cause a train wreck and have experience raising nice looking balanced cattle, at least in our opinion. I originally got into the cattle "business" by buddying up to a longtime Brangus seed stock producer and eventually buying older bred cows from him, between 5-8 years of age. fast forward several years and now we have commercial angus and registered Brangus. I'm by no means an expert but do have experience buying bulls and raising Brangus Bulls. One of the things that my buddy taught me was EPD's are a tool and just a piece of the information gathering.

I really appreciate the collective experience and information you all continue to give.

etr

Latest posts