Terminal Breeds

Help Support CattleToday:

Terminal breeds would be those that are known more for their carcass traits than their maternal traits. Certain lines within certain breeds could also be more terminal than other lines within the breed.

CopeMan":2jcfalgb said:
What are the terminal breeds and what does terminal mean?
Terminal breeds are mostly your continental, heavy muscled draft type cattle; Charolais, limos, simmental, maine anjou, chianina, and gelbveih, etc.
The British breeds, Angus, Hereford, and Shorthorn have certain bloodlines within their respective breeds that are leaner, higher yielding, heavyier marbled, normally less backfat and a little larger
ribeye area, but normally not as good on its feet and legs, without
quiet the maternal qualities as some of the other bloodlines. The bulls
normally have smaller nuts, therefore not as fertile as others.Terminal means the last place to go. They should be all slaughtered; Zilch;
with none held back for replacements.
Terminal as in terminal illness.

terminal means that you do not intend to keep any replace ments from that cross. such as f1 tigerstripe cows berd to a charlais bull. your replacements woud be bought from another source to maintain the terminal calves. if you use two or three breeds in rotation then you would keep heifers from the cows. i use braford bulls and then brangus on the heifers, and then braford again and so on. i would eventually like to have a group of cows from this and use a limo or simm (terminal) and sell all calves. 8)

Thanks for all the info guys I appreciate it. Would A Black Gelbveih bull be a good terminal sire on f1 black baldies?

CopeMan":r3b51wmi said:
Thanks for all the info guys I appreciate it. Would A Black Gelbveih bull be a good terminal sire on f1 black baldies?

Probaly.

CopeMan":ngwkhtrz said:

Copeman- Of all the continental breeds, I would not be afraid of keeping heifers out of F1 Black baldies X with a black Gelbveih. The Gelbveih breed is a good moderate framed, strong maternal cow. What heterosis you lose from the F1 cross, you probably pick back up with the continental influence.

It could be used that way. But Gelbvieh as well as Simmenthal are noted for maternal traits, fertility and early puberty therefore not usually considered true terminal breeds. They make excellent introductions into a crossbreeding program where some continetal influence is desired.

dun

CopeMan":1xuqfwf8 said:

Dun is correct. Both Gelbvieh and Simmental can be highly maternal. In fact sometimes too much milk. These two breeds don't fit in with the comments by la4angus about scrotal size and fertility as Simmental have the highest scrotal average of all breeds.

amazed":15iizjf2 said:
Dun is correct. Both Gelbvieh and Simmental can be highly maternal. In fact sometimes too much milk. These two breeds don't fit in with the comments by la4angus about scrotal size and fertility as Simmental have the highest scrotal average of all breeds.

Amazed

Go back and read my post. I never said "never". I said " Normally"
or "not quiet."
That would be like you saying "always highyly maternal or always too much milk." No; You said "both Gelbveih and Simmental can be highly maternal. In fact sometimes to much milk."

Certainly no breed is perfect for maternal traits, fertility,or carcass.

maybe you're not well documented with continental breeds, Limos, Charolais, Maine Anjou and several of the Italians could be considered Terminal breeds as well as the double muscle breeds as Belgian Blue and Parthenais
la4angus":3fj37yuv said:
CopeMan":3fj37yuv said:
Terminal breeds are mostly your continental, heavy muscled draft type cattle; Charolais, limos, simmental, maine anjou, chianina, and gelbveih, etc.
The British breeds, Angus, Hereford, and Shorthorn have certain bloodlines within their respective breeds that are leaner, higher yielding, heavyier marbled, normally less backfat and a little larger
normally have smaller nuts, therefore not as fertile as others.Terminal means the last place to go. They should be all slaughtered; Zilch;

la4angus":3lf09581 said:
CopeMan":3lf09581 said:

IF IT WERE NOT FOR YOUR TERMINAL BREEDS THE ANGUS WOULD STILL BE THOSE LITTLE SHORT DUMPY ANIMALS THEY WERE 30 YEARS AGO. AS A MATTER OF FACT IF YOU WERE TO REMOVE ALL OF THE HOLSTEIN AND OTHER BREEDS BLOOD FROM THEIR PEDIGREES THEY STILL WOULD BE. FOR THE RECORD THE ANGUS HAVE SOME OF THE SMALLEST RIBEYE AREAS IN DOCUMENTED TESTS.

So what's your point?

dun

guest":vtvxejh5 said:
la4angus":vtvxejh5 said:
CopeMan":vtvxejh5 said:

IF IT WERE NOT FOR YOUR TERMINAL BREEDS THE ANGUS WOULD STILL BE THOSE LITTLE SHORT DUMPY ANIMALS THEY WERE 30 YEARS AGO. AS A MATTER OF FACT IF YOU WERE TO REMOVE ALL OF THE HOLSTEIN AND OTHER BREEDS BLOOD FROM THEIR PEDIGREES THEY STILL WOULD BE. FOR THE RECORD THE ANGUS HAVE SOME OF THE SMALLEST RIBEYE AREAS IN DOCUMENTED TESTS.

Latest posts