Tennessee winter forage and hay

Help Support CattleToday:

jwimberly

Reaction score
It seems like we've skipped fall and went straight to winter. I'm averaging just under 1.5 4x5 bales per day with 1 bull, 15 dry cows, and 16 pairs. I'm sure it'll go up some as it gets colder. If this coming spring goes similar to last then I'll stop feeding hay mid april. I haven't planted any cool season crops but probably will try it next fall in a bermuda field. I've got a decent deal going with cheap hay but I still want to get more efficient and stock pile some cool season grass next year.

In an average year, most folks in my area will feed hay from October/November until April. Fescue is one of the more popular forages to stockpile for winter grazing. The first cutting of hay is usually sometime in May if can get good curing weather.

Hook2.0":xk3ujm7v said:
pricefarm":xk3ujm7v said:
What part of TN are you looking to move ?
Northeast corner or just sw of Nashville.

Iam in southwest va so the weather will be pretty close to there. I usually start feed hay the middle of Dec sometimes alittle sooner. If I didn't run so many cows then I could hold off longer but In the spring and summer would have way to much grass. I run a cow calf per acre and half. That's with cross fencing and rational grazing. I usaly feed till the middle of April. I let my grass start to grow and get some height to it before I turn the cows out. In the fall around September you could plant wheat , oats or rye for some late fall grazing or early spring grazing. I have tried them all and really haven't had much luck. Your best bet if the weather is good in Sept throw down some N and stick pile the fuscue.

I'm 1.5 hour north. I'm Feeding weaned calves, bulls, one group of fall cows, one group of springs hay now started last week.. All but the weaned are still picking at pasture could of pushed it little longer. Have 50 spring calf cows will be on pasture fescue till at least christmas. These are rotated on fields i take on spring cutting of hay from. Usually early to mid april done feeding hay. The last three years have averaged 3 rolls of hay per cow. All but 12 are spring calving cows. All fields are fertilzed or covered heavy in tobacco stalks. 1.75 acre per cow except one field with bunch of stalks it's close to1to1

The thing to keep in mind that according to where you buy the past history of the farm may vary greatly. Littletom seems like he takes great care but some farms are never touched. Especially the steeper ones.

Normal year we feed hay From early December until early April. Figure around 4000 pounds per cow. This year we've already started about 3 weeks earlier than normal. But we have a place coming in mid march that hasn't been grazed since July so hopefully we will make up those 3 weeks on the back end. Fingers crossed for snow to stay away.

Hook2.0":20t1ojfh said:
Couple more questions
How much are you all paying for purchased hay
How much to have a hay field baled?

In the NE area we hay normally runs from $35-40 per roll, however since there was an abundance of rain this year, here is a current price from a Craig's list ad.
4x5 round bales for sale, $30 per roll inside, $25 per roll outside

I don't pay to have hay rolled so I don't know that cost.

Hay prices vary. This year you can buy 4x5 for 20$. I have sold some for 35$ but to people with horses that want barn keep hay. I charge 18$ a roll to mow rake and roll a 4x5 string wrapped roll. Iam not really making much money doing it but it's for neighbors and I enjoy it.

Not so sure about Florida but I'm getting closer to not having cattle in the winter each year. All my hayland is rented and if I loose it that might give me a reason to start.

What elevation you looking at Hook? This makes a pretty big difference on how much hay you will need for winter. My creek bottems in Carter Co. are about 2,600 ft with the hill sides going up to 3,500 ft. The other end of the county is about 1,500 ft. Green up is two weeks later at the house than it is on the other end of the county, and the first freeze is about two weeks sooner at home as well. As such we have about a month shorter growing season than the other end of the same county. That is the bad.

The good part about elevation is that I have very little to no slump in fescue growth in July and August that the flat lands have. I try to have 8 4x5 rolls on hand per cow. I rarely need over 5 per cow, but I like to have a buffer. On stocking rate I average 2 acres to a pair on most pasture. Some I can do better on, some worse. Usually the steeper the ground the lower the stocking rate.

Latest posts