tennessee folk

Help Support CattleToday:

I know... I know...

Been really busy and don't get on here that often. I will make a point to take some pictures and get them posted.

Brian

shadyhollownj":3oucjmm2 said:
Hoss I just went to Eric Walkers this weekend to pick up a pair. A long ride but worth the trip getting to see his cattle. Good bbq joint in Manchester Praters. Everyone likes there angus in neck of the woods.
Walker has some nice cattle. I was at his place last year for a cattleman's association field day.
The Praters that you ate at just opened up a couple months ago. The original Praters is just east of here in Morrison, TN. Both joints are still going strong. Excellent brisket sammich. I ate there on Sunday afternoon. You should of hollered at me. I would have sold you a Gelbvieh :mrgreen: :cowboy:

Today's stupid question for you tennessee guys. I was driving up 13 from waynesboro to Clarksville late this afternoon. I noticed a few places were a track hoe seemed to have been digging up what looked like creek gravel out of the ground. The farm land that I drove through didn't seem that rocky to me, or atleast what I could see didn't any way. Can you just pick a spot, and start digging and hit that stuff in that area? Or is it concentrated in just a few places?

Bigfoot":3badiwrp said:
Can you just pick a spot, and start digging and hit that stuff in that area? Or is it concentrated in just a few places?

Our place is at an area where the flat land starts and in some spots I hit solid rock just under the surface. I'm having some excavation done just in front of my house trying to control the water that comes down from above like a river. We were planning on taking out 5 feet to build a retaining wall but hit solid rock at just under 3 feet.

Bigfoot":39a2jljc said:
Today's stupid question for you tennessee guys. I was driving up 13 from waynesboro to Clarksville late this afternoon. I noticed a few places were a track hoe seemed to have been digging up what looked like creek gravel out of the ground. The farm land that I drove through didn't seem that rocky to me, or atleast what I could see didn't any way. Can you just pick a spot, and start digging and hit that stuff in that area? Or is it concentrated in just a few places?
That is the weird thing about Wayne County. Some areas it is just clay / dirt and grows good crops. You can dig forever without getting a rock......go 1 mile and you are in areas that have chert or gravel that can just be scopped up with a loader or track-hoe like you saw. Other areas are solid limestone covered by a thin layer of dirt. Where my grandfathers farm was you can load chert at the chert pit a half mile down the road or get limestone from the rock crusher across the road.

Thanks hoss. It struck me as odd. The chert wasn't adding up with everything else that I saw. Pretty country though.