Tenessee Tuxedo and Inquisitive Minds

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
TT's question to Sky about his spraying roundup on his beans reminded me of something I thought was funny. A few years ago a friend of mine was talking about spraying his corn with Roundup and one of the guys present took this as if it were carved in stone and rather than be inquisitive and ask a question he took this little nugget of information and went and spayed his sweet corn in his garden. It eliminated his weed problem right fast. And he didn't have to shuck any corn that year. I am always amazed at how some people can take a little bit of knowledge and become their own worst enemy. Oh, and no, we never remind him of this. ;-)

I gotta give Double T some credit he asked because he wasn't sure :clap: instead of taking it for it's face value and killing some garden beans in his or someone elses garden trying to rid beans of weeds :lol2:

Well my first clue was when I put 2 and 2 together, the name Roundup Ready certainly implied it was ready for an application of Roundup! LOL!

It also explains how a guy who rented a 10 acre parcel from us last year was able to spray all round the edges and fence rows of the plot with Roundup with fear the residual would harm his beans. I did ponder that one for quite some time I must admit.

TennesseeTuxedo":20f3j7q8 said:
It also explains how a guy who rented a 10 acre parcel from us last year was able to spray all round the edges and fence rows of the plot with Roundup with fear the residual would harm his beans. I did ponder that one for quite some time I must admit.

:lol2:

I know a guy that killed about two hundred acres. His supplier was short on his seed order so he planted one big block and then for the small block he said,"just send me enough of whatever you have to finish this small block." Before he sprayed would have been a good time to remember that conversation.

cow pollinater":3re4i6hb said:
I know a guy that killed about two hundred acres. His supplier was short on his seed order so he planted one big block and then for the small block he said,"just send me enough of whatever you have to finish this small block." Before he sprayed would have been a good time to remember that conversation.

There is no way in H.E.1.1. I would have even planted those non-RR beans thats a disaster waiting to happen. :shock:

skyhightree1":53jpl6xr said:
cow pollinater":53jpl6xr said:

There is no way in H.E.1.1. I would have even planted those non-RR beans thats a disaster waiting to happen. :shock:
Had one here this year that planned on planting liberty link beans and they didn't have them the day he wanted to plant so he planted RR.
Seems at spray time he forgot about that but he did get the best kill I have ever seen liberty do on pig weeds. The beans were also the best crop I'd ever seen this guy grow too.
We plant RR corn just so we don't have to worry about drift from the cotton and bean fields.

I have a bean growing in a ditch that you can spray with any, and not it kill. LL, RR, 2,4-D all have not been able to prevailed against it.
Kind of wonder what my neighbor is growing. Might need a sample of his beans.

Once had a guy ask me what the best thing to kill black turpentine beetles in pines. I told him we always used Lindane mixed with diesel fuel. What he neglected to tell me is he was moon lighting as a yard man for some rich people who lived at the country club. He doused down their yard and shrubs with about 100 gallons of diesel /lindane mix then got mad with me when it sortof torched all their grass and shrubbery.

jedstivers":2ad2lafn said:
skyhightree1":2ad2lafn said:
cow pollinater":2ad2lafn said:

Had one here this year that planned on planting liberty link beans and they didn't have them the day he wanted to plant so he planted RR.
Seems at spray time he forgot about that but he did get the best kill I have ever seen liberty do on pig weeds. The beans were also the best crop I'd ever seen this guy grow too.
We plant RR corn just so we don't have to worry about drift from the cotton and bean fields.

Wow that's crazy.

Jogeephus":2ad2lafn said:
Once had a guy ask me what the best thing to kill black turpentine beetles in pines. I told him we always used Lindane mixed with diesel fuel. What he neglected to tell me is he was moon lighting as a yard man for some rich people who lived at the country club. He doused down their yard and shrubs with about 100 gallons of diesel /lindane mix then got mad with me when it sortof torched all their grass and shrubbery.

Jo why did you set that man up for failure ? Its all your fault. :lol2:

You got that right. My fault for sure. Only a few people in the world are brilliant enough to know that diesel fuel will kill a plant.

This seems to happen on a more regular basis than I figured... Around here some guys killed off 10 acres of grapes while spraying the weeds between them. Pretty expensive lesson there!

One neighbour wanted to kill the grass growing on the floor of his greenhouse so he hand sprayed the floor very carefully not to overspray then shut the door went to work when he came home all was dead the high humidly carried the round-up through the whole greenhouse I gave them some tomatoes that year. PS he is the local dealer for chemical and seed.

Nesikep":10p8fvl1 said:
This seems to happen on a more regular basis than I figured... Around here some guys killed off 10 acres of grapes while spraying the weeds between them. Pretty expensive lesson there!

:lol2:

tamarack":10p8fvl1 said:
One neighbour wanted to kill the grass growing on the floor of his greenhouse so he hand sprayed the floor very carefully not to overspray then shut the door went to work when he came home all was dead the high humidly carried the round-up through the whole greenhouse I gave them some tomatoes that year. PS he is the local dealer for chemical and seed.

As soon as you said greenhouse I knew what was coming.

I'm very careful now when asked to give out chemical advice because I've learned people neglect to give all the details. This realization came to me after a fella asked me what the best thing to kill galberry and palmetto' I told him 16 ounces of Arsenal and 2 quarts of Garlon with a good surfactant. Unbeknownst to me, he was asking in reference to galberry and palmetto that was growing in a lane leading flanked by 200 year old live oak trees leading to a historic plantation home just like the one you saw on Forest Gump or Gone with the Wind. The cocktail I told him about really did a number on the galberry and palmetto but ..... :shock:

Jogeephus":1mtvfa35 said:
I'm very careful now when asked to give out chemical advice because I've learned people neglect to give all the details. This realization came to me after a fella asked me what the best thing to kill galberry and palmetto' I told him 16 ounces of Arsenal and 2 quarts of Garlon with a good surfactant. Unbeknownst to me, he was asking in reference to galberry and palmetto that was growing in a lane leading flanked by 200 year old live oak trees leading to a historic plantation home just like the one you saw on Forest Gump or Gone with the Wind. The cocktail I told him about really did a number on the galberry and palmetto but ..... :shock:

Jo im sensing a common theme of you and chemicals. :shock:

Jogeephus":lrny9m6x said:
Oops--I shulda read this earlier---just sent you a PM asking you opinion on some herbicide...........

I replied. Just remember if it starts smoking and getting all warm to the touch, RUN.

skyhightree1":1bwz2akm said:
Jo im sensing a common theme of you and chemicals.

Sky, maybe its just me but I actually read the label before I go spraying something. Case and point, we've been having a terrible problem with army worms and me two other hay people were talking about how to get rid of them. Both of them suggested I use a certain insecticide. Said it was the best thing since sliced bread. From their description you would have thought it would cure cancer but I had never heard of it and they raved on and on about it and how it was worth the 40+ mile round trip to the store to buy it. Last night I googled the insecticide and looked at the active ingredient and saw what it actually was and it wasn't so magical after all. Very common insecticide I can buy here under a different name.

Latest posts