Tendons too tight?

Help Support CattleToday:

Retracted tendons in the front legs of new-born calves where the calf walks on the tops of the feet (bumble foot) is a relatively common occurrence in larger calves. Some claim that it is caused by a nutritional or mineral deficincey but in my opinion is caused by the calf just being really wadded up because of the size. Some treat it with splints to hold the foot straight, we just leave them alone, and they will straighten out in a couple of weeks on there own. We don;t have any occurrence of it in our herd, but we used to pick them up at the sale barn for next to nothing because "the poor little thing is crippled", six weeks later we would take them back and make real good money on them because they would be so big.

dunmovin farms

> Question: Anyone ever heard of
> tendions being too tight in
> cattle? What are the causes? What
> are the signs? Repairable? Any
> suggestion?

> Question: Anyone ever heard of
> tendons being too tight in
> cattle? What are the causes? What
> are the signs? Repairable? Any
> suggestion?

OK...Let me be more specific! I am referring to the tendons in the back legs on an almost yearling calf. Its big boned, BIG butted, loads of meat...stout! Did not start to have problems until a bad hoof trim. Not restricted in movement and structually correct. Just seems to have a hard time getting up.

[email protected]

Latest posts