Tenderness which breed

Help Support CattleToday:

this is good stuff...the sort of stuff we need to be talking about. I think theres probaly to much variation among indivbiduals to compare breeds without doing at least a few thousand of each

Id also like to see each breed comparing differnt bloodlines within there breed

For tenderness I would say my 1st choice is angus (real suprise there). But in all seriousness any of british breeds (straight-bred or crossed) are in my opinion what we need to go back to. I don't mean going back to the cattle that are carrying to much cover fat. It is the ability to put marbling in the muscle. Being from IL this should come as no big suprise the corn-fed beef is the best.

tapeworm":16olm8sy said:
this is good stuff...the sort of stuff we need to be talking about. I think theres probaly to much variation among indivbiduals to compare breeds without doing at least a few thousand of each

Id also like to see each breed comparing differnt bloodlines within there breed

I agree, 100 head out of the number of animals we are talking about isnt a very high percentage.

I dont see any deliniation between breeds that had 2000 animals tested compared to breeds that had 101. While the percentages appear the same, unless you know the actual sample pool they dont really mean anything.

Also, producers who are sending in samples are often producers looking to improve their herd. This could skewer the results as could a percentage of producers submitting samples from animals they are happy with for marketing reasons. To be an effectice analysis they would have to have the exact same number of samples submitted for each breed and the reason for testing would have to be the same.

Just my 2 cents.

Regarding selecting good-looking animals for testing:

We have in our nitro tank semen from an absolutely
beautiful, picture-perfect bull. We'll never use his semen
again because he had rotten scores on the tenderness
testing. You can't tell by looking which animals will have
the sought-after genes. You are right that we first
tested the best looking ones(that were donor material
by appearance)---but not all had acceptable scores to
be donors.

OK Jeanne":35bslgi4 said:
Regarding selecting good-looking animals for testing:

We have in our nitro tank semen from an absolutely
beautiful, picture-perfect bull. We'll never use his semen
again because he had rotten scores on the tenderness
testing. You can't tell by looking which animals will have
the sought-after genes. You are right that we first
tested the best looking ones(that were donor material
by appearance)---but not all had acceptable scores to
be donors.

Yeah, but you can choose animals that are from the same line as ones that previously tested high; which is what I would do if I was having tests done for marketing reasons.

la4angus":3f627qzs said:
Aero":3f627qzs said:
la:
glad to see you are back and kicking 8)
Might be back, but not kicking very high. :lol:

Where you been?
Boy you sure have missed some knock-down drag-outs here. :lol:

I hope you're OK?

Does anyone have a link to the MARC tenderness test
results shown by breed???? Thanks in advance!

i am new to the forum, just researching what cattle breed to go into, murray greys sure do look like the answer.
in australia if they were black from what i can see they would be everywhere. the black angus are very popular here.

i look forward to reading more posts.

Thomas M":60c3r8q2 said:
i am new to the forum, just researching what cattle breed to go into, murray greys sure do look like the answer.
in australia if they were black from what i can see they would be everywhere. the black angus are very popular here.

i look forward to reading more posts.

In the States, Murray Greys come in a variety of colors, including black.

Latest posts